3. Magellan
I think your view of Magellan is likely to be influenced greatly by whether you have cruised before or not; I have. The embarkation process began well (the staff in the carpark were superb), but when we went to collect our cards for access to the ship ours had been misfiled in the "N's" (our surnames begin with P and B!) and after 20 minutes it was actually my travelling companion who found our cards. Ah well, these things happen! The ship just doesn't have the "Wow factor" - having travelled with other cruise lines before, I wanted to be wowed - I wanted to go to the atrium (there isn't one) and look out and think "wow" ... unfortunately, there was no area on the ship which afforded me any type of wow! :-( The cabin was a good size (Cabin 6169) and was clean and functional. We had enough wardrobe space for two, but if there had been 4 of us, we would have struggled. Onto the evacuation drill ... wow, what a fiasco! Put it like this, if the call was sent out to "abandon ship" everyone would drown!! So, you have to go to your cabin and collect your life jacket (picture the scene; you're running downstairs with half the passengers whilst the other half of the passengers have already collected their life jackets and are now running up the stairs!), then assemble at an "inside" muster station - mine was the restaurant. Once there, you are checked off and the crew then attempt to establish who is missing. After about 20 minutes (the ship is sinking at this point, remember) you are taken out of the restaurant onto the deck, where you are then asked to ascend two flights of stairs to reach the life boat. Hmmm, the average age of passengers on this ship was 70+, many of whom had mobility issues ... lets hope the "abandon ship" words never, ever have to be spoken, because most people on this ship would not get off!! We took the drinks package and made the most of it, although they did run out of diet coke for the final day at sea! The food was, at best, mediocre. The meat in the dining rooms and the buffet were "cheap cuts" ... all "bone-in" food, not chicken breast etc. There was, however, an abundance of food. In the buffet, though, it al felt a bit like "slop." Another reviewer has called it "care home food" and, yes, I would agree with this. Also, they don't seem to quite get it right around what they serve and when. The Pizza station, for instance, only operates until 6pm ... but if you really aren't taken with the "slop" at meal times, pizza might be a good alternative. Beer battered fish was served, but there were no chips to go with it ... only rice. It just wasn't particularly well thought through at times. Afternoon tea was good though! lol The staff work incredibly hard and very long hours. However, on more than one occasion I overheard staff complaining to other guests about their work and I have never experienced this on other cruise lines. I think the staff here are worked like dogs and are demotivated by their managers/captain ... it simply did not have a happy feel to it. I also think the ship is probably understaffed by about 50 - 100 heads which makes the staff morale worse. No-one was rude, but, unlike on other cruises, they didn't have any great desire to please their guests either. And then onto my biggest bugbear with the staff ... eating and smoking in view of the guests whilst in their work clothes. Every day I went onto the deck and saw at least three different members of staff smoking. Further, in the evenings, I saw a number of uniformed staff sitting in or around the bar areas drinking alcohol. Hey, I have no problem with them drinking alcohol if they are off duty - but then they shouldn't be identifiable as staff of the ship! On one occasion in the buffet, one of the staff from the reception area came up into the buffet and sat with the staff eating his breakfast. OK, so it really isn't the end of the world - I am simply making the point that on a cruise ship there should be an illusion created and that is shattered when the staff are behaving the same way as the guests (smoking, drinking, eating in the buffet) The entertainment was pretty poor ... sure they work hard but the female lead singer (Sarah - I think) was far too "cruise ship" (as Simon Cowell would say) and every time she opened her mouth to sing, I fully expected her to do a "jazz hands" pose. The other singers were ok. The dancers were great and displayed many routines, often in relatively choppy waters! The Captains Bar had a duo which were also OK - it did feel a little bit like a "man with a bontempi and his friend" though. The violinist and pianist duo must be singled out as true musicians, though. After the first meal sitting, it was a lovely experience to sit and listen to this duo perform whilst having an after dinner drink. It also appears that Adults Only means "old" pensioners (75+) ... pensioners who sit in the best seats on the ship (the ones by the windows) and promptly fall asleep. So, you are sailing down the norwegian fjords, but you can't see them from inside because there are a lot of people who have sat down and ... fallen asleep. There is absolutely nothing that the cruise line can do about this ..it's simply an observation. It was quite telling that another guest said to me "You must be one of the youngest people on this ship!" (I'm in my forties! lol) The Norwegian Fjords are simply stunning ... just beautiful, and I would recommend that everyone goes and sees them ... perhaps not with this cruise line though (unless you want a real "easy listening" type experience, or you want to sleep through most of it!) Finally, there were a number of people I met who were really happy with everything about the ship and the cruise ... upon asking, it transpired that these were people who had never been on a cruise before, and that's why I say that your opinion of this ship will very much depend upon whether or not you have experienced cruise lines before. For me, there are far better providers out there and if you didn't enjoy this cruise, don't let it put you off!

All a bit too "easy listening" in God's Waiting Room!

Magellan Cruise Review by Torchbee35

Afternoon tea was good though! lol

Torchbee35’s Full Rating Summary