3. Viking Star
We scheduled this trip, with two other couples, 18 months in advance. We wanted to explore eastern Europen countries that we had yet to experience. Though we didn't get to see much of Istanbul, due to enhanced security, we were impressed that Viking called us to hear our input regarding other port destinations. We arrived just before sunset. We heard the call to prayer as we passed views of the mosque. That left us wanting more. Embarkation was very smooth. We boarded with only a couple of others. We were happy to find our spacious, compfortable rooms. It was Easter Sunday. Viking never fails to add a special touch, a much appreciated chocolate bunny! This was our sixth Viking experience and our first ocean journey. We experienced the passing of the shake-down voyage of the Viking Sea as the sun rose one morning. Celebrating with champagne as a helicopter captured the moments along with us was a special gift. We get attached to the well-trained staff. They enhanced our experience in every possible way. Viking is consistently amazing. Their employees are wonderful. I was impressed how spacious the ship was organized. Never did I feel as I have on large cruise ships, crowed and hurded. We were able to enjoy all aspects of The Star and found special areas to relax before dinner such as the Explorer Lounge and the pool area. I look forward to Viking cuisine, it never dissappoints. I've come to expect the delightful included excursions but the offerings of extra excursions made it difficult to choose. Regardless, we we happy with our choices. I would love to take this trip again but not until I have experienced all the other itineraries. We are booked again on the Star, May 2017. We are already looking forward to another Viking journey in welcomed comfort. This time we'll be traveling with people we met on our China trip!

The little details and amazing surprises set Viking far apart.

Viking Star Cruise Review by Cathy MacHold

Cathy MacHold’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Star price drops

Beautiful views, spacious, luxurious, very comfortable.

• Venice
    Our guide was wonderful and knowledgable. We enjoyed a small group experience of St. Marks Plaza, and walking tour of Venice along with special tidbids of information.
    View All 1,469 Venice Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Venice Cruise Port Review
  • Culinary Tour
    Imagine cooking with four people, privately with the chef, in the magnificent five star Gritti Palace Hotel! We savored, smelled, ate, drank, discussed and emensely enjoyed our 7-hours. I booked a private cooking glass at the Epicurean School in the Gritti Palace. We met the sous chef and walked to the Rialto market where we selected a menu, plucked the freshest sea bass and vegetables available. On our walk back to the Gritti, we stopped to experience a birreia. We enjoyed seafood appetizers and wine. Back at the Gritti, we were given a private tour of the Hemingway Presidential Suite which was amazing in itself. Our four-course meal included:
    chocolate mousse; radicchio salad with soft-shell crab, seafood rossitto and a meringue encased sea bass stuffed with a bouquet garni. The experience was once in a life time and worth every penny of the price. We proudly kept our aprons!
    View All 5 Culinary Tour Reviews