3. Viking Hlin
This was our first river cruise, but not our last! Everything from the booking to the trip itself was flawless. The Hlin is a new ship with every amenity imiginable for a river boat. I'm not sure my wife and I will ever sail on a large ship again. We sailed from Amsterdam to Basel on a Christmas Market Cruise. We extended our trip in Amsterdam for two days and toured several sights like Anne Franks house. Beautiful town but the weather was rainy until we got on the ship. The only thing I would change would be that sailing from Basil to Amsterdam will stop at slightly better towns and see more castles. Also, maybe sailing downstream would be quieter, but we rarely heard any engine noise in our cabin which was in the middle of the ship. The cabins are efficient in size, but comfortable. The bathrooms have a heated floor, which comes in handy in December. The food was great, lots of choices from breakfast to dinner. The excursions were informative and well paced, and every town had a interesting history. They use local guides who know their towns history well. They don't just recite a canned speech. The employees on board were kind and helpful from the cabin stewards to the wait staff. Boris, the cruise director worked hard to see to our every request. The Christmas time frame is so different since it's not a high tourist time of year. Mostly locals at the markets who are very friendly and often speak english well enough to communicate with. What ever time of year you go, the Rhine cruise on a Viking ship would be a great first river cruise!

Viking Christmas Market Cruise; Amazing!

Viking Hlin Cruise Review by p anthony