3. Koningsdam
Empty Nesters... It is finally our time to travel where & when we want! We just returned from our 7 night cruise sharing HAL'S premier voyage on the ms Koningsdam. (Our very first premier voyage!) We headed to Italy a few days early and stayed 5 nights at "The Bocelli Farmhouse & Winery”- in Lajatico & explored Tuscany with lot's of other special options Maurizio Lucci (Bocelli FarmHouse tour Manager) arranged for us! It is expensive... and priced as a package, so I am not exactly sure how individual days and expenses were charged- but for us... WORTH IT. We were treated like royalty. They planned our days, tours, & meals... we slept on the farm where Bocelli grew up and the grapes grow. Toured all day with our driver & returned to farm for chef prepared meals and wine tastings. We even had a cooking lesson one evening and winery tour with Alberto & Cinzia Bocelli. They customized everything & we feel like we made new friends. We were on the premier voyage of the ms Koningsdam! Our ports included Dubrovnik (Croatia), Kerkira (Corfu) & Olympia (Kakolon) in Greece, Sarande, Albania. Naples & back to Rome in Italy. Our Neptune Suite (7071) was lovely, spacious, and inviting. Its veranda had 2 loungers with a small table between, and a table for 4 with 4 chairs and was quite large. We spent lots of time relaxing on it enjoying the sail. The room had far more storage space and outlets/USBs than any of our previous ship suites. The sofa was placed against the wall with a flat screen tv above it across from the bed. there were 2 chairs and a coffee table as well in front of them. The bathroom had both a shower stall & tub... & a separate double doored toilet area that opened to room or bathroom. My favorite suite perk is The Neptune Lounge & its concierge service. It allowed me to iron out all the quirks I failed to take care of in advance... as well as snacks & beverages & seating areas. I was especially partial to the hydro pool and thermal suite- both are superb on K and well worth the cost. On this voyage it was $200pp for week. The large hydro pool has a "rainfall curtain" around the edges and I loved the sound it made. The say they sell only 30 passes? The windows in the saunas allowed sea views & there were all sorts of different steamers & showers. But my favorites are the ceramic thermal loungers & new horizontal shower. In main dining room we had early seating, (5:30) at a lovely table for 2 near the window sharing sunsets while we dined. I thought all the food was very good both in main dining room, and varied shipped venues. Previously called "Formal"- There were 2 Gala Nights. Individual interpretations of “Gala Night” created an all over the whole ship festive celebration with men wearing everything from blazers to tuxes... and ladies in pantsuits to cocktail dresses. We dined twice at the Pinnacle Grill & once at Tamarind. Meals are slow, relaxed, elegant & tasted delicious. We never made it to Sel de Mer, Canaletto, Blend or the Culinary Arts Center. With so many options now available on K… a seven night cruise simply doesn’t allow the time to try “it all”. We also never ate in the Lido... or tried the gelato bar. We never had a chance to use take advantage of Culinary Arts Center cooking classes, or wine tastings. We had no children with us in need of club hal... but I looked in and was quite impressed with the facilities! ms Koningsdam has a music theme and entertainment very good! The World Stage is definitely a game changer in entertainment for HAL. Comfortable viewing from all angles with lots of special effects. A comic, magician, vocalist & 2 HAL shows. They added chairs on stage for one show to help create a total "theatre in the round". We had so much fun- I was even pulled up for a dance! So much talent aboard this ship! The Queens Lounge & Billboard Onboard were our evening favourites and hard to choose between. So we bounced back and forth between evening sing along's with the 2 piano players and jazzy BB King Blues music & dancing. I was happy to see a new incarnation of Adagio Strings with 5 performers on the Lincoln Center Stage. The new Queens Lounge may very well be the most elegant and appealing venue I have ever seen on a cruise ship! Loved the movie nights poolside and seeing families & friends stretched out on loungers- laughing and floating... enjoying the popcorn & munchies from Dive-in. I did not miss the dedicated theatre from previous ships at all. The new culinary arts center filled class needs & its absence allowed more space for the music walk. The cabins have plenty of movie & TV options. We had spectacular weather all week- so most days the "dome" covering the pool could remain open. Among other places to eat... we enjoyed morning bagels at the "New York Deli & Pizza" sitting on deck. Oddly, the only pizza we ever had in Italy was on board... and it's made to order generously sized personal pizzas were very good. I loved the new option of daily info available on my iPhone/ipad. There will still be paper schedules available, but since most of us now carry our phones for texts and selfies- it is a great paper saver. Eventually, they plan to have loaners for anyone who wants one & even more info available with this free app. The ship, though larger and more populated- never felt crowded. There were always places to sit, or lounge about... walk... and explore. I believe she has been created to appeal to a wider graphic of guests- but retained, or perhaps even raised HALs standards for classic cruising at a time when cruise lines have no choice but to catch up... or be passed over. SO MUCH TO DO... SO LITTLE TIME! Before I knew it- it was over. Disembarkation for us was very easy, we put luggage outside cabin door night before... and picked it up in port. Perhaps the best compliment I can pay the ms Konigsdam & her Crew... We already booked our next cruise on her for 2017!

Musicality and the Beautiful ms Koningsdam

Koningsdam Cruise Review by TylerRose

TylerRose’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Neptune Suite with Verandah
Cabin SA 7071
Our Neptune Suite (7071) was lovely, spacious, and inviting. Its veranda had 2 loungers with a small table between, and a table for 4 with 4 chairs and was quite large. We spent lots of time relaxing on it enjoying the sail. The room had far more storage space and outlets/USBs than any of our previous ship suites. The sofa was placed against the wall with a flat screen tv above it across from the bed. there were 2 chairs and a coffee table as well in front of them. The bathroom had both a shower stall & tub... & a separate double doored toilet area that opened to room or bathroom. My favorite suite perk is The Neptune Lounge & its concierge service. It allowed me to iron out all the quirks I failed to take care of in advance... as well as snacks & beverages & seating areas. The only negative is location. Conveniently located near Neptune Suite- it is across from their food prep area and could be noisy at times... but never disturbing.
Schubert Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins