3. Magellan
First cruise ever, so we were a little apprehensive. But as the Magellan ship is a small/medium size it is a good choice for a first cruise. Embarking at Newcastle was great and very easy. The steward met us and showed us our free upgrade room from the 4th deck to the 7th. We were surprised how big the cabin looked, and the bathroom & shower were bigger than we had hoped for.there was shampoo & shower gel dispenser in the shower and little bars of soap on the sink. The room had a big picture window was made the room very light and airy. Plenty of wardrobe space & the TV had bbc,itv etc. We didn't take the drinks package at £17 per person but plenty did and many said they had got there money's worth. But drinks are not expensive on board so we just paid as we went along. The food was a bit of hit & miss but overall the Raffles Bistro faired better than the restaurants for food. If you eat in the restaurants you get free coffe,tea & water. The shows on board were ok, although to be fair we didn't bother much with them. All the staff are just so lovely, nothing was too much trouble. You do pay £5 per day for tips which will be added to your bill at the end of the cruise. I read some reviews that said take your own water bottle, but there is a big sign on the water dispenser that tells you not to, so we didn't as it makes perfect sense health wise. Staff offer you antibacterial gel for your hands at every restaurant which again is a thing you must do to protect not only yourself but the other passengers. My disembarkation was a mess, as I hold a USA passport they make you walk to the bus them onto the terminal to go through immigration and as it was snowing very heavily I got soaked and had to return to the ship to disembark an hour later. No staff told me this otherwise I wouldn't have packed my jacket! Don't bother paying for the wifi, it's just rubbish and not worth the money as it ties so long to get onto it, even to just check emails is just so frustrating. If you want a leisurely cruise without all the nonsense of the big mega ships try this ship.

Great Cruise for Under £700

Magellan Cruise Review by Blackpool27

All the staff are just so lovely, nothing was too much trouble.

Blackpool27’s Full Rating Summary