Carnival Miracle Cruise Review

Carnival Delivers Another Great Value

Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by hbsprite

• Sail Date: Apr 2016
  • Destination: the Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Balcony (obstructed views)

Embarkation:

We were traveling with my father, who is temporarily in a wheelchair. Embarkation was very easy. They took us to a special check in desk for disabled people. We waited maybe 10 minutes, then headed up and were on board. From getting dropped off at the curb to being on the ship took 30 minutes max.

Cabin:

Our family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 children (ages 4 and 7) shared an obstructed view balcony cabin (5237). The cabin itself was a standard carnival cabin, which is a good thing. They are big, have lots of storage and are well laid out, even for a family of 4. The bathroom was good sized, with great water pressure in the shower.

Our stateroom was in poor condition. There were nicks and scratches all over the wood trim, scuffs on the ceiling and burnt light bulbs that were never replaced. Our cabin steward didn't help our impression of the cabin. On our first day, I noticed some cheerios under the desk that were still there on the last day! Our cabin steward was friendly the two times we saw him during our cruise, but he seemed to do the bare minimum possible. My kids got the floor sandy after our day in Cabo and it was still there 2 days later.

Dining:

Five stars for the dining room! I emailed the Maitre D' ahead of time to request a private table for our party of 6 as well as an easily accessible table for my dad in a wheelchair. We got a table right in the middle of the dining room, close to the entrance. It was great for all of us.

The food was excellent. We enjoyed the American Table menu. There was a lot for more adventurous eaters as well as plenty for the meat and potatoes type of eater.

The service was great. I could tell our team had a lot of experience and they really delivered seamless service. I appreciated the pacing of dinner. We were out of there after an hour and a half every night, including having dessert and coffee. On a side note, I feel like Carnival might be pushing their servers a bit too hard by increasing the number of tables per server. Our server was so busy with us and all the other tables, that they had very little time to chat with us.

We ate at Nick & Nora's one night and were very disappointed. The food was excellent, but everything else was not. To start, we dined at 6 and the restaurant was nearly empty. Nick & Nora's is a huge space, way bigger than almost any other specialty restaurant we have eaten at on a cruise ship. Instead of spreading out the diners a little, they seated EVERYONE in a small little section off to the side. We were elbow to elbow with our neighbors in a restaurant that was 80% empty.

When we were seated there was no explanation of the menu other than to bring some raw steaks by our table to show us the different cuts. When the server came to take our order my wife tried to order 2 appetizers (one of them being a soup), no salad and a steak. The server scolded my wife and replied "That's not how it works. You have to order 1 appetizer, 1 salad and 1 entree." I totally get the 1 entree rule and don't have a problem in the world with it. I have eaten at dozens of specialty restaurants on multiple different cruise lines and have never been told I could only order one appetizer. While the food was good, the service left a bad taste in our mouth.

Entertainment:

Five stars for the comedians. We really liked how they switched out the comedians halfway through the cruise. All the comedians we saw were quite funny. Carnival really does comedy right.

The production shows were fair to mediocre at best. They were better when they had dedicated singers and dancers. Apparently, they switched the casts and shows out towards the end of the cruise. The second to last night, they had a new show with the new cast. It was a piano man themed show. It was great! Noticeable better than the previous 3 shows both in content and talent.

Kids Club:

Our 4 and 7 year old children had fun in the kids clubs. The kids clubs on this ship aren't nearly as big as on Royal Caribbean or Disney, but they get the job done. The staff was friendly and the check in/check out process was easy.

Conclusion:

We really enjoyed this cruise. It was our first time on Carnival's mid sized ships and we all enjoyed the layout of the ship.

We would definitely cruise on the Miracle again!

hbsprite's Full Rating Summary