3. Anthem of the Seas
We were a little apprehensive about our cruise on the Anthem after all the negative press she has received lately, but I am happy to say that our 24th cruise was a very successful one! We love being able to go out of Bayonne to avoid airfare...so happy Royal chose to base Anthem there! Embarkation was okay but reminded me of boarding an airline...there were no specific areas to sit, so when they started boarding by C&A status, everyone was standing where you had to walk & trying to be the first on. In spite of this, we were boarded by 10:45. Biggest surprise was seeing all our bags awaiting us when we got to our cabin...first time that has ever happened...especially on such a massive ship! Cabin was a balcony mid-ship, deck 11. Cabin was roomy with a lot of storage space. Really liked the bathroom configuration & the improved shower set-up. Even though we did not have chaise lounges on the balcony, the slide out ottoman worked just as well. Our cabin attendant, Rein, was excellent. Our first evening, we tried Wonderland...do not miss this! Food was not just innovative...it had many layers of flavors & textures...we loved everything including decor & unusual music...no detail was missed. The wait staff even wore "Alice-in Wonderlandy" velvet jackets. Wait staff really seemed to enjoy their jobs! Second night we dined at Chops. Having dined at many Chops on different ships, we knew it could go either way. This one was one of the best. The filet was exceptional...my husband is not a beef lover but he truly enjoyed his meal. We were on the Classic Dynamic Dining so we rotated with our staff to the 4 complimentary restaurants. We enjoyed each one but American Icon had the most amazing lamb chops I have ever had (and I eat a lot of lamb!) The head waiter for our section was extremely involved...he even found me mint sauce (not the jelly). Our wait staff, Courtney, was attentive and did an excellent job. He definitely earned a "10". The show "The Gift" brought me to tears...I had read reviews stating that the reviewers were distracted by all the special effects and didn't understand it, so I paid strict attention to the story line...lovely story. 270 was one of the most comfortable areas on the ship. Loved Spectra's Cabaret and the Virtual Symphony. The bumper cars are just like when we were kids, except they are so quiet...great fun! RipCord was amazing...I have the coolest photo that shows me floating in air (with no one holding me!) Although I had made reservations to go on the North Star, I am afraid of heights so I wasn't sure that I would actually do it...glad I didn't chicken out! We had one morning of rain, so it was greatly appreciated that there are two covered pool areas...one for the families/kids and the Solarium. They really enforced the "adults only" policy in the Solarium. Not sure if this is true on all the ships now, but on the Anthem if you wanted eggs for breakfast with room service it was $3.95. The only items that were free were cold cereal, pastries & fruit. This disappointed us because we have always had at least one room service breakfast per cruise...but cold cereal wasn't going to cut it. Our only disappointing dining was at Jamie's Italian. The crab/avocado appetizer was good but the lamb entree and "Posh Chips" were tasteless. We had sorbet for dessert but it was almost completely melted when served to us. The waiter was considerably less than stellar...he acted like we were almost an afterthought. I definitely will pass on Jamie's next cruise. We are D+ so we enjoyed the Concierge Lounge every evening for cocktails & hors d'oeuvres. It is a very relaxing spot with comfortable chair/couch groupings. The first night we tried the Diamond Lounge but it was so overcrowded that we had to sit in the overflow area of the Music Hall where people were playing pool. I think it was overcrowded because no one was checking to make sure guests were Diamond or above, so once people saw the food...and with 4800 guests... The servers in the Concierge Lounge were wonderful...they even went to the trouble of having a personalized birthday cake made for one of the guests, brought it over and sang to him. You see this all the time in the dining rooms but it was the first time I saw it personalized with a name and in the lounge. My only criticism of the Concierge Lounge was the Concierge themselves. Dionne & Filip spent the ENTIRE 12 nights sitting behind their desk talking to each other and working on their computers. Dionne is the Suite Concierge and Filip was for D+ /Pinnacle Crown & Anchor members. The ONLY time we ever saw Filip get out of his seat, was to come over for a piece of the birthday cake! (I even took a picture of them). Several of the guests complained to the Crown & Anchor Rep. and the next two nights, and only those two nights, Dionne walked around for 10 minutes and then sat back down behind her computer. I actually had never heard Filip speak until he said a few words when he came over for the birthday cake. We were all questioning what they were actually doing on their computers, because when none of us got invited to the welcome back party, my husband went up to the desk and inquired about it. He was informed that everything was now "paperless" and that we should have seen the invite on our TV messages...hmmmm...none of the D+ or Pinnacles had received such a message. Later that evening, we went to the Crown & Anchor rep's desk and asked her about it. Apparently, there were too many C&A members (gold, silver, & emerald) so they were not inviting us to the usual "Welcome Back Party" but were doing a different party for us...well...why wasn't that communicated to us...and why didn't Filip convey this to my husband? Just tell us! (As frequent cruisers, we are all trained to go to the first party too) BTW, the ship isn't completely paperless...we got papers telling us about the "balcony cleaning" and the special sales that were coming up. We had just been on the Serenade and had become accustomed to such fabulous Concierges as Mario who spoke to every guest in the lounge and sent us daily phone messages about upcoming events...quite a contrast! That brings me to my real only complaint about the ship...poor communication which started off with no audio during the muster drill (that was a little disconcerting), lack of communication in the cabins (no way to hear announcements unless you open your cabin door) and the indifference of the Concierge toward their most loyal guests. Disembarkation is a little different than other ships...they send you a paper asking you to fill out what time you wish to disembark (probably because of the vast number of guests). After you go through customs, the new terminal in Bayonne has a very large, indoor waiting area where you can sit in comfort until your ride arrives...greatly appreciated. We had visited all the ports before, so we were able to go to our favorite beaches & finally swam with the turtles in Barbados...so cool! I enjoyed this cruise tremendously (we only had 1/2 day of rain on a sea day) and the itinerary was great.

Spacious Cabin!

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by jerseygirl74

jerseygirl74’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

Well arranged. Lots of storage. Extremely quiet.
  Anthem of the Seas Deck Plans