3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Just returned from the aforementioned cruise; our third on QM2. How service, food and entertainment have disintegrated in the last 9 months.Embarkation was a joke, nobody seemed able to do their job. They simply did not understand English. They looked pretty and professional, bu looks are certainly deceiving. Service in the dining room was so bad, I went to the Purser's desk to ask if this was a designated training cruise. I was assured it was not, yet orders @ breakfast and lunch were delivered haphazardly, and generally inaccurately. The staff did not understand what we were asking for. QM2 is one of the rare ships that has laundry (self service), but with broken machines and thousands of passengers, it was an impossibility to do a little wash. I am thankful we were only on for 9 days and not for anything more than that. Shops on board offered the same merchandise every day, how boring. Entertainment was mediocre at best, well this isn't Manhattan, so what should one expect? Activities on board, ha, ha; this was a giant infomercial for Canyon Ranch, trying to hawk it's services and products. Port talks and pictures looked great, when in reality they were expensive and useless. We didn't expect to go to SE Asia again, so we took excursions in each port. Sadly these ports were not ready for prime time. They were more than primitive and with few exception, polluted and dirty. This was especially true in Cambodia which I now call the bowels of Asia. Shame on Cunard for including this horrific port on it's itinerary. People who decided to self tour had the best option both in Hanoi and Cambodia-they could return to the ship. We were held captive for hours. Bangkok was a disaster. 6+ hours of travel and about 2 hours to tour, include in this was a lunch and shopping break, and soooooooooo expensive to boot. Dinner times were rigid and those of us on early seating had to rush from the bus to the dining room with nary 15 minutes to change. This was very poor planning on the part of Cunard. We have sailed 4x on Cunard to date, and I doubt there will be a fifth. What a major disappointment.

The Cunard In-experience

Cabin BC 4199
Clean, nicely appointed, comfortable
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    Travel time in to and out of Bangkok was horribly long. Spent less than 2 hours in the city, which included lunch and shopping (so to speak). More time riding on a bus than enjoying sights is stupid. If this was the case, why not exchange this port for something else. Bangkok was so far away from the port, it was hot and uncomfortable. There were many homeless and the smell of human (not animal) feces on the street was vile. the constant repetition of King Rama IX, this and King Rama IX that was incredibly boring. The temple was OK for a short while, but too much time was wasted there
    View All 40 City Tour Reviews
  • Hanoi
    Could barely understand guide, his English was so poor. Hanoi is backwards, highly polluted with exhaust fumes, cigarettes and waste odors. How colorful, NOT!
    View All 60 Hanoi Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Hanoi Cruise Port Review
  • Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
    We had a great guide, Mervin, who was informed and entertaining. Saigon is a much more modern city than Hanoi. Beautiful architecture, wonderful landscaping and nice walking areas. Lunch @ hotel was good, ponts of interest were interesting
    View All 164 Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Cruise Port Review
  • Highlights of Silhanoukville
    When you give a tour, it is to show off the best of the country and not the worst. It was almost as if we were going from one pile of rubbish to another. The chapel was filthy.The temple was overrun with dirty begging children who had flies spinning around them. They were beautiful,but filthy. The 'monk' who blessed us for good health and long life was just 11 years old. He performed like a robot. Stray dogs and children followed us around. couldn't wait to get on the bus. Once on, I told my husband I didn't think I would be getting off the bus again, I was disgusted. Wherever we went we were surrounded by trash and litter. The next stop was a local house and my husband said it was filthy, and unsafe with loose floor boards. But there was the mandatory garbage all around. Off to the school. We were told to bring little things for the kids, so I bought many items, pencils, erasers, colored pencils, stickers, crayons. At this point there were many people who wouldn't leave the fly ridden bus. My husband gave the supplies to the headmaster. The guide questioned him as to why he didn't give it directly to the children. His response was he didn't want them to keep hounding him for more and try to re-sell the goods to others, he wanted it put to good use in the classrooms. Again the children were filthy and the school was surrounded by garbage. A woman across from the bus was cooking on an outdoor stove, and in between stirring, she was busy picking nits (lice) out of the children's hair. On to yet another temple, then to a beautiful beach. We were offered drinks from a soda machine, not a can. Nobody wanted to drink it for fear it was made with local water. Thankfully, I asked early and was able to leave and get back to the ship tender an hour before my tour was supposed to end. Riding back to the bus in a crowded tender was the best time I had that day.
    View All 12 Highlights of Silhanoukville Reviews