3. Golden Princess
After a disappointing start with a later embarkation due to extra sanitation onboard and all the negative reports through the media in regards to Norovirus, we ended up having a really good time on the Golden Princess. We have not cruised before so have no idea how this ship compares to others. Service around the ship was consistently attentive other than the rude boffins in the internet lounge. Points to note: * Hats off the staff for the incredible job they do making getting on and off at ports so well organised. and Hats off for putting up with the constant stupid questions and whining from the small minded minority. * Unsure why we are chrged gratuity surcharge on purchases including drinks when ship runs in AUD. Surely we can choose if we wish to pay gratuities?? * Unimpressed with the shops onboard - but I wasnt there to buy things so it didnt bother me. * Room steward was attentive * I have no idea why so many people choose to eat in the buffet as the restaurants were easy to get into and far better service and food quality. We were impressed with the selections. * we were cruising to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary so we did find it hard to socialise on board as most patrons were a lot older. * we found the shows cheesy and aimed at older patrons. We were happy sitting in a bar listening to the houseband or joining in trivia etc * we enjoyed the art auctions and found them informative. All in all we would cruise again with Princess and recommend to others.

Golden Princess Mar 2016

Golden Princess Cruise Review by AJOggy

• Sail Date: March 2016
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

* Room steward was attentive

* we enjoyed the art auctions and found them informative.

All in all we would cruise again with Princess and recommend to others.
AJOggy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Golden Princess price drops

• Akaroa
    After being bitten at Wellington by price of tour we decided to chance it and do our own thing in Akaroa. There were heaps of local tour operators waiting for the tenders when they came in and offered a variety of options from Christchurch tours to local trips on a trike or vintage car to the wildlife cruise that we did. WE paid a lot less by booking on shore and had the best time. We saw a heap of Hectors Dolphins, a couple of penguins and a heap of seals. Topped off with a hot coffee to help my frozen hands thaw out on our return to the jetty.
    View All 175 Akaroa Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Akaroa Cruise Port Review
  • Waiheke Ecozip
    We were transferred to Waiheke via a ferry service then collected by the Ecozip bus. The Ecozip bus driver gave us a history and tour of the island on the way to our zipline adventure, so well worth it from that perspective. The Zipline was three sections each about 200m long. Great photo opportunities and loads of fun. You need to be reasonable fit as what goes down has to come up and it on foot through a bushwalk. The walk itself was lovely and added to the adventure but was rather steep in points. If I had known how great Waiheke was, I would have booked my own zipline and spent the rest of our day in the main street as there looked to be lots of interesting shops and local tastings.
    View All 13,573 Waiheke Ecozip Reviews
  • Dunedin
    The owner of Book a Tour was handing out flyers and booking people in for their tours in the main street of Akaroa on the day prior. Her tours were very keenly priced and we did not have to pay anything till we got on board the bus. So we took the chance and booked in. Turned out to be THE BEST tour we had on our holiday! Colleen and John the driver and tour guide were highly entertaining and our tour lasted for 5 hours. WE were given a cold bottle of water along the way and a few choccies as well as a lovely brewed coffee from the ballroom cafe at Lanarch castle. WE had a blast from start to finish.
    View All 320 Dunedin Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dunedin Cruise Port Review
  • Melbourne
    WE live in Mebounre so this was for embarkation only. WE parked in the Ace long term car park and walked straight on at our allocated time. It was hassle free
    View All 225 Melbourne Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Melbourne Cruise Port Review
  • Hobbiton Movie Set
    It was an hr each way to Hobbiton on a coach. Bus driver wasnt overly entertaining and didnt really give us much feel for the areas we drove through. Hobbition run their own coach servies so it would be worth checking out if its possible to make your own arrangements (we didnt know this till we got there). The tour was great and our guide was very informative. The gift shop was VERY disappointing. I was so captivated by the little village I think I took over 100 pics!!
    View All 45 Hobbiton Movie Set Reviews
  • Lord of the Rings Walking Tour
    AFter a good experience at Hobbiton we booked on the WETA tour (Peter Jacksons studios). The cruise tour takes you to an unmarked factory unit where there is a gift shop, a tour and movie. We were extremely happy with what we saw there and teh gift shop heaps better than Hobbition. However we overheard a lady on our tour mention the WETA Cave, which is literally around the corner and the tour does not stop t here. My hubby and I got a cab back out there as we wanted to have a look around. They offered a similar tour, plus also a tour of the Thunderbirds set and had the same movie as they showed on the cruise tour.......even with cab fare taken into account, this would have been a far cheaper option. and to top it off this was by far the best Lord of the Rings gift shop.
    View All 21 Lord of the Rings Walking Tour Reviews