3. Carnival Victory
This was only our second cruise so we don't have a lot of comparison, but we did note a few things. Embarkation was extremely easy and fast.....much better than our last experience in Baltimore. Once on the boat it was chaotic, which I believe is common on most boats. Line ups for lunch were lengthy, but our room was ready as promised by 1:30, so we ate a bit later. The muster exercise was VERY disturbing and unorganized. Many of us in muster stations F, G, and H were having difficulty finding our location (mainly because they announced that we were in the front of the boat when in fact we were in the aft). I stopped two separate crew members to help us find the right location -- both of who shrugged their shoulders and walked away. Eventually several of us found it on our own.....but then had to wait over half an hour for the rest of the cruisers to find it. The staff assigned to the muster drill seemed genuinely disinterested and bored with the whole thing. I was placed in the back row behind two gentlemen who were both over 6 feet tall (I am 5 ft 2 in)....I could not see the demonstration and genuinely left feeling a complete lack of confidence in the staff's ability to look out for my safety should something happen. This fact alone will discourage me from booking another Carnival cruise. I found some of the staff to be wonderful - our room steward and some of the bar attendants for example - but overall, most seemed disengaged and uninterested. On one occasion, a maintenance person snorted at me like a pig as I got off the elevator. Had I not been so shocked, I would have asked his name and turned him in. Another staff member was clearly irritated when we asked how to get from one end of the boat to the other - she simply said "go to the fifth floor". We enjoyed the food in both the dining room and the buffet. Lots of choice and mostly to our taste. Our only complaint is that we were placed at different tables every night so did not have a consistent waiter. Getting wine in the dining room proved to be difficult.....usually got one glass of wine then we're not asked again. We learned to tell them right off the bat that we would be needing more than one glass of wine with dinner. That seemed to do the trick. The cabin was adequate.....small but alright. The bathroom seemed old and in need of improvements, but was sufficient for our needs. Cabin lights took a long time to come on......a fact we figured out by the second day. Our room was located under the lido deck so lots of noise throughout the night. The casino was smoky and unfortunately you had to walk through it to get from one end of the boat to the other. The smell of smoke hit you as soon as you got off the elevator. The shows were great - we enjoyed them tremendously. Some were too late for my liking, but those I saw were excellent. Overall, it was an ok cruise and we did enjoy it. Will likely go back to Royal Carribean though.

Meh