Norwegian Star Cruise Review
2,612 Reviews

Once again the Star shines!

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by FraudBroad

• Sail Date: Mar 2016
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Suite

Our group of six (ages 77, 75, 50 x 2, 17 & 18) sailed the Star 3/27-4/3.

Pre-cruise we stayed at the Fairfield Inn, Westshore. The free shuttle picked us up at the airport and also, later in the day, shuttled us back and forth to the mall for dinner. The hotel is only 3 months old and in perfect condition. The service was excellent and I'd highly recommend it to anyone sailing out of tampa.

We took the FREE shuttle from the hotel to the port leaving the hotel at 10:30 and arriving at the port at 10:45. Check in at the Tampa port was painful. Even though we had three suites, they kept moving us from line to line. When my parents were checking in the computer went down and it took them over 30 minutes to get finished.

We were all in SJ Family suites on deck 12 forward. Cabins 12506, 12508 & 12006. We all loved the cabins as well as our Butlers! We dined in one of the suites the first night, opting to order off of the main dinning room menu. Every day while onboard the teens opted to have breakfast delivered to their suite and my parents and I opted for breakfast in Moderno. Personally, I feel, this is one of the BEST suite perks!

We dinned at the specialty restaurants: Moderno, Cagney's, La Cucina and Le Bistro. All of the meals were fabulous, and with the exception of exceedingly slow service at Moderno service in all of the other restaurants was excellent. The final night of the cruise we dinned in Ginza and did not enjoy the experience. They had a musician playing one deck down at Gatsby's and it was so loud we couldn't hear each other speak. As well, the food was not very good. I wouldn't recommend the restaurant to anyone!

We attended several shows: Band on the Run, Marrambola, the hypnotist and the comedian. All of the entertainments was wonderful!

We attended several games of trivia as well as Dance Like a Norwegian, The Newlywed not so Newlywed game and The Liars Club. All of the entertainment by the Cruise Director and his staff was excellent. Mark, the Cruise Director, is new to Norwegian and by far one of the best we've ever sailed with!

I personally had a horrible issue with the spa not charging me correctly for a treatment I had. The run around was insane and the assistant manager was down right rude. Buyer by ware...I will never again book a spa treatment on the Star!

All of the crew members (with the exception of the spa) we interacted with were wonderful. I can't say enough good things about our Butler, Efran and our Concierge, Roel.

Roatan: We spent the day at Beachers. We'd pre reserved and someone was there to pick us up as soon as we got off of the ship. We paid $45 each which included round trip transportation, a welcome drink, lounger and umbrella. The service as Beachers was some of the best we've ever experienced. We will return.

Belize: My father and two teens went zip lining with "Major Tom". I'd pre booked online and they were there to pick them up at the appointed time. All three enjoyed the day! My mother, friend and I just walked around the port a bit. There isn't a whole lot at the port in Belize City....

Costa Maya: Spent the day at Tropicante on the beach. I'd pre reserved online and Steve, the owner, had our table and chairs waiting. This is the ONLY place I will ever go in Costa Maya. The service and food are excellent! Love chatting with Steve, and American, who's been in Costa Maya for several years now. Always a wonderful day there!

Cozumel: All 6 of us went on the Cozumel Bar Hop. If you can only do ONE thing in Cozumel do this!!! The MOST wonderful tour! My mom and I had been in December and couldn't wait to go again! We pre booked online at cozumelbarhop dot com. They take you to four bars on the other side of the island and you receive a shot at each bar. The food was amazing, as were the drinks. This is a MUST for anyone traveling to Cozumel....don't miss it!

Disembarkation from the Star was a breeze. There was quite a long line for US customs so we grabbed a porter for our bags and were whisked to the front. Easy breezy!

This was my 5th time on the Star and I just love her. I'm not a huge fan of the larger NCL ships and will continue to stick with what I know and enjoy! I've never met a cruise I didn't love and don't ever expect to!

FraudBroad's Full Rating Summary

Family Suite
Cabin SJ 12508

Now that I've sailed in a suite I'll never be able to go back! The suite perks on NCL are second to none. The cabin was in excellent condition, very roomy with lots of storage space. It was a quiet location and never were we bothered by any outside noise.

Roatan

Pre-booked online. The driver was there to pick us up in the designated location and right on time. The service, location and food were all excellent. Highly recommend Beachers to anyone looking for a relaxing day in Roatan. $45 per person round trip transportation, welcome drink, umbrella and lounger.

Costa Maya

4th time and won't be our last at Tropicante. Second to none in Costa Maya! Food and Service are both excellent!

Cozumel

THE BEST EXCURSION EVER!!! Second time hopping and will do it over and over and over again! Pre booked online and they were there waiting for us at the assigned time and location. Our tour guide, Colleen, was amazing. Don't wait, book this tour NOW!

Tampa

The check in process was painful at best. They are totally un organized at the port. Prepare for them to screw up. They do a really great job of that!

FraudBroad