3. Disney Dream
This is our third Disney cruise, we have sailed the Fantasy twice and this was our first time on the Magic. We are a family of 5 l; my husband and I mid-thirties with children aged 5, 3 and 18 mos. We traveled with two other families who had children ranging in ages from 16 to 9. We were a table of 14 for dinner. My review will be based only on my perspective. Overall it was an ok cruise but for the cost it should have been better than ok. In fact, for our third Disney cruise it was, notably, by far the worst of the three. The short story - pros: *We were in group 2 and on the boat by 11:15 *Boat was spotless *Home for 4 days and no one caught anything from the boat (yay) *kids loved the camp *baby loved the nursery - staff was outstanding *Room was clean and nice *Room service was quick *Whiskey tasting was outstanding Cons: *Some kind of "technology" issue kept us standing outside of the port for about an hour *Castaway Cay was a total train wreck; I really feel Disney put us in actual danger *Service in the main dining room was poor *Food in main dining was poor *Coffee is the worst coffee I have ever had (still) *The ship shits down at like 11pm, midnight the latest - no food options except room service and literally nothing to do *Food at Palo wasn't as good as I have had before The details of the trip: We should have known we were in for it when our trip larger started on the curb at Port Canaveral. Some Disney employee did tell us we were outside because of some technology miscommunication so we stood there for a good 45 Min in the heat; it was kind of a mess getting in. That said, we are Castaway club Silver and the line for that was quick so once we got our key to the world card, we had time to get camp wristbands and then board. The ship was, as always, spotless and grand. Greeted by name and cheered for by crew. Unlike the past 2 trips, however, no one escorted us to the elevator or anything. It was fine, however, as it truly was not busy. We got a table to seat all 14 of us although the buffet didn't open until 11:45 sbut it was fine. Food was ok; less options than I remember especially for the kids but fine. We then went to our rooms as the Navigator said they would be ready at 1:30 but they were a good 15 min late so we sat in the crowded hallway waiting but again no big deal. Seriously tho, Disney, don't print 1:30 if you need till 1:45. Say 2pm and look like a hero at 1:45. Whatever I digress. The biggest issue of the trip was Castaway Cay which was our last day but such a big deal I will jump there next. I ran the free 5K and I have before so nothing changed there. Got off the boat, no one checked our IDs tho we needed them to get our bibs at check in. The race is more fun and not chip trimmed but they give you a bib as a souvenir and a "medal" that's made of rubbery plastic at the end. It's fun. There was an overcast which was great for running as it was breezy. Our family had a cabana and I asked a Disney employee "is there a storm coming" they said "no, the captain radioed the island, should blow past us". Ok so great. I laid around waiting for the rest of my family. They showed up about 20 min later and the host for the Cabana came, Lindsey. The sky looked way worse. I said "should we leave?" He said basically the same thing, storm should blow out to sea, hopefully miss us but if it does drizzle stay in the cabana, it's safest covered. Well we had TORRENTIAL rain with literally 50 MPH wind gusts. All 14 of us were totally stranded for almost three hours in our cabana. No food, no real shelter, freezing as we used all the dry towels and got soaked. It was awful. Lightening less than 100 yards away from us. All of the kids were terrified - the adults too! Shame on you Disney. I get no one can control the weather and you don't want people to miss out, but someone HAD to have seen this three hour monsoon on a radar - how you can encourage guests to remain out in weather like that is beyond me. Absolutely awful. We didn't have to pay for the cabana but still - the risk was terrible. The food was not as good as on other Disney sailing; my steak was overlooked on two different nights with two different preparations and they forgot to serve at least one person at our table. They only do Crush at the Animators Palate and not the animated drawings which was a let down as we only ate there once. The coffee is terrible. I think this is a known issue with Disney but still - fix it! They don't do enough chocolate desserts and the menu on Pirate night is the WORST! It's all spicy and seafood - I really struggle with that menu but that is true of all Disney pirate nights I have attended so far. We did have brunch at Palo. This was our third time and the only time didn't have calzone on the menu this time or the filet minion! Food was OK. I had the veal that was loaded with mushrooms that were hidden underneath which wasn't pleasant to me, but for some this could be a bonus. The chicken parm was good as were the desserts but the buffet sections were wierd. They had Nutella breadsticks and the next table had shrimp and prosciutto - just odd. It was worth the $30 but I was let down because I have had better at Palo! Camps were always a crowd pleaser for my kids and every time I called the nursery to check on my baby they were sweet and happy to check on him for me and gave me a full report. They never called me to take him for any issue and when I did check on him by stopping by and looking through the one way mirror - he was always happy and playing with an adult. They were always very professional and kind, excellent employees! We didn't get off in Nassau but those who did said it was nice. I did use the gym to run on the treadmill and that was very nice and clean and not too busy. They added a hot tub to the concierge sun deck; we were not Conceirge but one family who was with us was and that was a nice add - hope the do same with the Fantasy soon! We waited a long time for the Aquaduck but that's to be expected. 45 min with my kid was actually fun time for us to talk and giggle so it went quickly. I don't know why the soft serve ice cream and pizza stands close - I know other cruise companies serve this 24 hours. It's not a big deal for us but once in a while you kind of want a late night snack and the kids are asleep so room service isn't the best option. This never bothered me before but with the lousy dinner service it really stuck out to me on this trip. Disembarkation was a breeze; breakfast at our assigned table with our family before we lesurley walked off was great. I did fee relaxed on our drive home so it was overall an OK trip but having sailed Disney before I really was dissapointed with this trip.

Disney Lost Some Magic

Disney Dream Cruise Review by Jc3165

• Sail Date: March 2016
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

The short story - pros:

*We were in group 2 and on the boat by 11:15

*Boat was spotless

*Home for 4 days and no one caught anything from the boat (yay)

*kids loved the camp

*baby loved the nursery - staff was outstanding

*Room was clean and nice

*Room service was quick

*Whiskey tasting was outstanding

Cons:

*Service in the main dining room was poor

*Food in main dining was poor

*Coffee is the worst coffee I have ever had (still)

*Food at Palo wasn't as good as I have had before

The details of the trip:

Jc3165’s Full Rating Summary
Ages Under 3
Ages 3 to 6
Get Disney Dream price drops

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Cabin 05A
Nice clean cabin. They would only leave 5 towels tho; I asked for 6 as I like 2 one for my hair and one for my person but no big deal.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins