• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

chch41
First Time Cruiser • Age 30s

Sail Date: Aug 2015
Cabin: Large Ocean View Stateroom

My previous cruise experience was little (only a 2-night Viking Line cruise between Stockholm and Helsinki) and this cruise was my 1st-ish time and my mother's definitely 1st time.

Overall: Delightful. I enjoyed most of my time on board. The layout of the ship was quite nice and everything was clearly signed. Cruise compass was extremely useful. Details below:

Embarkation: AWFUL. Port Civitavecchina was a huge port with no sign to tell you where to go. A large group of our fellow cruisers wondered around the Port for more than a hour. And I should emphasise it was over 37 degree C at that time. Then we finally found a RCL staff to help, who can not speak Italian, so she communicated with the port staff via one of the cruisers. Not very helpful staff. After more than half an hour waiting, she managed to arrange ONE bus for us (the groups of at least 50 people who can not find the port to embark). It was definitely not enough so we who carried less luggages asked the direction and walked the rest. It was very terrible first impression before embarkation. When I arrived the check-in desk I was almost faint due to the heat and dehydration (I was dark red on the embarkation photo). Thankfully the check-in was not so slow and we did not wait too long for our luggage. And I was extremely grateful for the AC on board. Drill was well-organised and clear.

Large Ocean View Stateroom

Cabin I

I chose an outside cabin at deck 2 so I did not expect too much. It turned out that the cabin was actually VERY NICE. Our attendant (I wish I remember her name) was very lovely and her service was quick. The room was very spacious and clean (I heard it is a dated ship so I want to say good job RCL!), much bigger than expected. The bathroom was also bigger than I thought with large room to keep our stuff. Also loved the beverage bar and the little towel swan the attendant made every day.

Port Reviews

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Do not go in Aug. Too dry and way too hot. The city was ancient with rich history and lovely architure, but it felt like an oven in summer! Plus Vatican City was overrated and overpriced.

Santorini

Beautiful little isle with delighted houses, dry land and sparse vegetation. Just a little too touristy...

Mykonos

Went to a Delos tour on my own. Absolutely lovely little isle with many ancient greek ruin. Like travelling back in history. The hiking itself was also nice.

The Mykonos itself was also lovely with beautiful shore. The only thing not so nice was the cruise port was very very far from the town.

Athens (Piraeus)

Very impressive Acropolis! And the museum was such an eye opener and extremely informative.

Katakolon (Olympia)

The town was not very much. Olympia was great ancient ruin. If you do not have time to google it, just take an excursion.

1 Helpful Vote