3. Nieuw Amsterdam
I title this "special cruise" because it was a burial cruise for my late husband's ashes. My 2 daughters, one of their husbands, and my two grandsons as well as a couple with whom we traveled were on this cruise. We each had Neptune Suite (other than the other couple), and the two Concierge in the Nepune Lounge were outstanding, Carena and Patricia. I reported to them upon my arrival on the ship and they were prepared to meet with me. The burial was to be the next day, and I was kept informed every so often during the day as to what time this special occasion would take place. When given the time, I met them in the Lounge and we were escorted to the Mooring Deck by the Security Crew. We had a very small ceremony, and it was so memorable. The staff on the entire ship were wonderful. The boarding process in Fort Lauderdale was very smooth. I like the way that the muster was conducted as you reported directly to your boat station. I do wish they would scan your card when you reported which would eliminate the room calling for those who did not report to the officer in charge. I was disappointed in the main dining room (both food and service) and ate there only once in a week. We were also disappointed in the food in the Pinnacle; however, on the other hand, the food was outstanding in Tamarind, and we ate there almost every night. I was shocked not to see that restaurant full all of the time. The meal we had in Cannaleto was very good as well--just a lot of food. Our family spent time on the deck, and it never seemed to be overcrowded. I spent a lot of time in the Windows 10 seminars, which were excellent. She is a beautiful ship, and the staff was excellent, particularly our Concierge and the staff at the Reception Desk. Disembarkation at the ports seemed to operate very smoothly. I would definitely sail her again.

Special Cruise

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by spindrift

• Sail Date: March 2016
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Neptune Suite with Verandah

The staff on the entire ship were wonderful.

Disembarkation at the ports seemed to operate very smoothly.

I would definitely sail her again.
spindrift’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Neptune Suite with Verandah
Cabin SA 7045
Cabin was very well-layed out. There are two sinks, a separated shower and tub in the bathroom; lots of closet and drawer space; nice work area; lovely verandah.
Rotterdam Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins