Zaandam Cruise Review

We were lucky with the weather. Very lucky.

Zaandam Cruise Review by alhamn

• Sail Date: Jan 2016
  • Destination: Antarctica
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Suite

Started in Valparaiso. This is my second HAL-cruise. First on Eurodam, over Greenland. Was surprised liking the much older Zaandam better. Not only because the cabin and balcony, was a bit larger here. Most public rooms were more attractive to me. (Gym, Crows nest, dining room, theatre etc.) The theatre suffered from not so good sound.

Breakfast and lunch in main restaurant (Rotterdam) was perfect for those who wanted to kill time. (And not very funny dinners, when we shared table with americans who ordered 3-4 starters. We had to choose between leaving hungry or miss the show.) Food was mostly ok. Steaks not. Fish sometimes uneatable. Other times perfect. We had the best meals in the buffét (Lido.)

Service all over the ship top-class. Nice sailing in the Antarctic peninsula. Embarkation and disembarkation among the best we have had. (Disembark in Buenos Aires was heaven, compared to the hell we had in New York, sept. 2011.) 4 of our 5 excursions were a terrible waste of time and money. Penguin-safari on Falklands was funny. Though I liked cruising in Antarctica a couple of days, I would say that the 2-week-cruise just around Cape Horn is a clever money-saver. If I knew what I know now, I would have choosen that. (And seen the animals nearer on my TV.)

PS. Jim in the piano-bar was a hit. Not only for us. Crowded. Spent 10 evenings there.

alhamn's Full Rating Summary

Verandah Suite
Cabin BC 7082

The cabin was one of the best we have had on a cruise ship. (It is not a suite, only a cabin. False name.) The location was not the best. Some people above on Lido had the hobby of moving sunbeds around. The 2-meter outgoing roof over the balconies aft, did not disturb at all. Perhaps sunlovers mind. If deck 7, I recommend somewhere around midship. (Avoid deck 6 front, because noise from the theatre, morning, noon and night.)

alhamn