3. Prinsendam
It's been 2 1/2 years since I did a long cruise with Holland America and overall the experience was very good. I've read other reviews of the Prinsendam which talked about its age and the breakdowns - while it is certainly an older vessel, the engineering crew was on top of everything and when things stopped working, they were on it right away. After our cruise, the ship was heading to the Mediterranean and then off to dry dock, so by next year, I am sure many of the issues certain passengers were annoyed with will be resolved. Like some, I was unimpressed with the shore excursions and plan to do quite a bit of private touring on my next cruise. Brad, our "location guide" was extremely knowledgeable and his presentations were fun and informative - when I did go off on my own, it was to places he suggested and they never did disappoint me. The tour descriptions, on the other hand, were very uneven and after about the 4th bus tour to the local cathedral and plaza des armes, it didn't seem worth the cost. If I'd been 20 years younger and able to be more adventurous physically, that might have changed some things. Overall, I can say I am glad I did it, South America is off my bucket list and if you have a chance to do the southern Chile, southern Argentina, Antarctica and the Falkland Islands portion, it's well worth it (they do have ships just sailing that part, so I would say do that and skip the Amazon). Kudos to Captain Tim!

Too Much Brazil