3. Celebrity Eclipse
The last time we were on the Celebrity Eclipse was in June 2013, going to St Petersburg from Southampton. The ship, excursions, staff were all great but the entertainment was poor to mediocre. We actually gave up going to the venues. This time, it was 1000% better. More about that later. We obtained a very early flight out of Newark, and got to the ship in plenty of time to surprise our friends Roseann and Nick. We flew into Fort Lauderdale as we try to stay away from Miami Airport, but FLL is becoming just as congested. We used the Celebrity Transfers both ways. Have used these on every cruise, as its better to leave the headache to someone else. Our friends went down the night prior, staying at a La Quinta hotel near the airport. (If you do this, you need to arrange prior to the trip for a private vehicle to take you to the pier, or go back to the airport and use the cruise line transfers.) The ship was just as beautiful as it was several years ago, but this time, due to the better weather, we took advantage of the three pools and our huge balcony area. When it was too cool to go into the outdoor pools, it was very nice using the indoor solarium pool. Celebrity makes use of many solar panels, especially there. I attended the naval warfare lecture done by a guest lecturer, and the propulsion and navigation lectures done by the ships officers. The guest lecturer spoke in generalities, not explaining his remarks. Lots of powerpoint slides were shown in the propulsion lecture without being explained. A laser pointer would have helped, to show power flow. The navigation lecture was done by the Staff Captain. He is the second in command, and reports to the Master of the ship. His briefing was by far the most understandable for the audience and quite informative. I have not seen a sextant in years! Service all over the ship was just as good as it was before. Everyone was very nice. Since we have been to most of these islands, we like to go mostly to the beaches. In Aruba, we went to De Palm Island Aqua Park. It has a nice beach,water slides and a zip line. In Curacao we went on a City and Beach Escape. The beach was nice. Since it was an overnight, myself and two other friends walked into the city, to the second oldest Synagogue in Europe and the Americas. It was very inspiring. Spent about three hours walking around the city. I also found a philatelic post office that draws folks from all over to peruse its stamps. We had a great time! Then in Barbados, we did the Beach Hop Island Style, going to Acra, Brown and Blackwell beaches, all better than the last. We sang and drank on our ride from beach to beach. I kept saying to my wife, "this is the best beach I have ever been to". We also did some cultural things, for example seeing the Blackwell Screw Dock, the first dry dock in the Caribbean. In St. Lucia, we did the Cook Like A Lucian where we prepared all sorts of Lucian dishes under the supervision of Antonia and her son. The meal that eight of us made was just delicious. In Antigua, I did the Canopy Tour zip line with Bob my buddy, while the wives went to the Beach Escape, the the Nest on Valley Church Beach. Bob and I enjoyed the tour. One wife did have an altercation with another Eclipse guest who bullied his way onto the beach, which was not handled well by the tour operator. The Celebrity Shore Excursion staff promised to look into the matter, the only black mark on our trip. The Beach Break Tour St. Kitts went to Cockleshell Bay,also a nice beach. In St. Maartin we went to our longtime jeweler friend, at Zhaveri Jewelers. We could have gotten some chairs and umbrellas right near the ferry stop at the center of town, but it was just too hot. All in all, except for one event, the excursions were great! Our cabin was 7260, midships on deck 7, so quite central to everything. The elevators were close, the Atrium area was just a few decks below, and the breakfast area and theater were both the same distances away. We dined mostly in the main dining room, the Moonlight Sonata. We did one night in Qsine, a definite positive experience. This time, versus in 2013, our waiter took the time to explain and recommend certain courses. The food was decadent! Of particular note were our waitstaff in the Moonlight Sonata: Jim, Brenda and Maria. Jim and Brenda knew our dislikes and likes after the second night, and Maria never left our wineglasses empty. The last few nights, I let Jim order for me. Sofyan, our steward, kept our cabin spotless. See my first comments about the entertainment. The entertainment production numbers (Chandelier and Topper) were Broadway/Vegas quality. Zoey Taylor, a member of the production crew, had a show on her own, with a terrific voice. The individual shows (Billy Joel, Elton John songs) were quite good. The female impressionist was really good, singing just in her own persona too. We used the Valet program, leaving our bags outside our door and seeing them next on the bag carousel in Newark. Think the charge was $20 per person, plus the airline bag charge, but it was well worth it. In all, it was a great trip. Got some sun it, did some good snorkeling, ate great meals.

Eclipse Has Thumbs Up for Entertainment, Mediocre Last Time!

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by ny-outdoorsman

ny-outdoorsman’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 2B 7260
This is a bump-out cabin, more room than others of similar class. I have not seen a balcony that size in some time. We could have danced or held a party there!
Sunrise Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins