Regatta Cruise Review

Regatta Cruise Review by Edwin Pogue

• Sail Date: Feb 2016
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View

My wife has always wanted to experience Macho Pico and the cruise sounded unusual, the cruise line was highly rated so we booked.

The Macho Pico add-on was a huge rip off. Due to the altitude, I couldn't go so she went single. Cost was $3,500 for a three hour tour. Yes, $3,500. Plus, I wanted to fly with her so I had to pay $175. for "changed" itinerary. Plus three nights in a hotel. Oh, and they changed hotels after I made reservations so I had to pay extra. The tour was a flight, a tour of Cuzco and night there. They assembled the tour groups randomly so my wife was placed with others who could not meet the demands of the trails, steps, and steepness. So she was unable to go to the scenic spots as the group had to stay together. They got there at noon and stayed three hours and were taken back to Cuzco.

Even though the cost was much more than other cruise lines, I like the ship. Great dining, some (some) very competent staff, some who could have cared less. However, about three days into the cruise the norovirus hit and many people became ill. Unfortunately, they were told to report to the medical office. Unfortunately, as it was right across from our room so we were exposed to all these people sitting in the hallway. Sure enough, after twelve days, I came down with the virus. This is despite frequent hand-sprays. Got sent to my room for 24 hours - I was told. 24 hours up, we went upstairs to tea time. Soon a very brusk and belligerent chief mate yelled and ordered me to go back to my cabin. I tried to explain that they cleared me but he was having none of it. The food while "locked up" was terrible. Very limited and very tasteless.

We should have been contacted by the land office and offered some kind of recompense but to day nothing - not even a "sorry" note.

I have many more serious complaints but will definetly recommend that none of our friends will join us in never taking a very expensive cruise on Oceania again.

The air accommodations were terrible and we had no choice in times or routes.

Edwin Pogue's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Ocean View
Cabin C2 4022

It was fair, tried to get an upgrade but none was available.

Edwin Pogue