3. Viking Lofn
We enjoyed our cruise on the Viking Longships---two actually because of low water problems in the river systems during our October sailing. We were suppose to start and finish on the Lofn but actually only finished on it. However, Viking handled the required ship change as smoothly as anyone could have dreamed. Except for having to pack and unpack a little more than desired and to have had a few more long bus rides I don't think we had any ill effects. In addition Viking gave us a free excursion because of the difficulties. The food and drink onboard were of high quality and the free wine service was generous and prompt. Our Cruise Director went with us from ship to ship so that we had some type of continuity throughout. Both crews were fantastic and I can't remember any complaints worth mentioning. This was our first river cruise and my wife and I both liked it. We had previously visited some of the towns and cities along the way but enjoyed all and found the excursions to all be worthwhile. We signed up for only a few of the 'extra fee' excursions as we thought the free ones were excellent. I would have liked more tome onboard just cruising along the river but I think that's the nature of river cruising , at least in Europe where one has to cope with so many locks and daytime stops. Entertainment on board was minimal but fine with some cultural insights thrown in through lectures od local entertainers. All in all, I liked (as did my wife) our first river cruise and I was especially pleased with the entire Viking treatment. Indeed, I might have rated this higher than 4 stars but have so little past river cruising experience that I felt like I should hold back a little. However, Viking impressed me so much that we are planning an ocean cruise with them for 2017 (by that time we will have been on 18 ocean cruises and I'll have the experience to more accurately rank them.

Good Way to Experience Much of Europe

NCJJCPJC2013’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Lofn price drops

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin B 221
Cabin was compact but very well laid out. I would rate it very good.
Middle Deck Balcony Cabins