Sun Princess Cruise Review

First cruise on Sun Princess will be our last.

Sun Princess Cruise Review by Trhols2

• Sail Date: Mar 2016
  • Destination: Trans-Ocean
  • Cabin Type: Owner's Suite with Balcony

We have just returned from a 14 night Cruise on Sun Princess from Singapore to Fremantle, stopping in Vietnam,Cambodia,Thailand and Bali. We had an Owners Suite on the back of the ship on Deck 9. Although we have been with Princess on several cruises before they have been on their small ships, Ocean and Pacific Princess. We really have enjoyed them and so thought we would try one of their larger ones. A mistake for us. Embarkation was fine and we were showed to our Suite straight away. The Suite was fine, and we had our first Dinner in the Steakhouse. The Meal was excellent. Then we noted that although the Cabin literature said that Breakfast was in Sabatini's, there was no Sabatini's restaurant on the ship. We asked if there was another restaurant we could use and were told there was not.Breakfast in our Suite or else the Buffet at the top or the main Restaurant. Room service did not compare to Sabatini's. Most days they forgot something , even Hot water to make a cup of tea(several times) . We tried the Main Restaurant one morning. We asked for a Table for 2 and the Receptionist said could we share. We said we would prefer not to, so very reluctantly she found us a table. The restaurant was more than half empty, so why such a big deal to have a table for 2?

IN the evening we were allocated a table on 1st sitting as we requested. We asked for a table for 2. We got a larger table split into two by a divider. It was not very comfortable with a screen only inches away. There were always loads of empty tables for 2 so why did we have to put up with this? The food was very average. I cannot eat Seafood so some days it was difficult to find anything I really fancied. When I ordered Beef well done, one piece was fine the second was really red in the middle. One night I was really struggling to find something I liked, so I ordered their Gourmet Burger. I told the waiter it must be well done. When it came the blood ran out of it. They redid the meal and the second attempt was worse than the first. By this time my husband had finished his meal so I did not want a third attempt so did not have a main course.

On our first night I asked for a Martini Bianco (Wine does not agree with me) to be told by the waiter that there was none on Board. I felt that this could not be the case so the next night we went in the Bar before Dinner And I got one. I walked into the Restaurant with it and the Waiter's face was a picture. After that no trouble getting a Martini in the Restaurant though. We have definitely had much better service and food on other Princess ships.

The entertainment and activities were nothing thrilling but we did not mind that. The shore excursions were very good on the whole. The tunnels just outside Saigon were interesting although the drive was quite long. We did an organised excursion in each port and especially enjoyed the Nang Noch gardens near Pattaya. I really would have liked more time their it was so good. Our excursion to Bali was to the Highlands and Lakes. It avoided the really touristy bits, so I was told. We must have been the only Australians on the ship who had not been to Bali before. It was totally spoilt by the fact that when we arrived at the pier to catch the tender, all the tenders were at the ship. We waited 50 minutes for one. Basically that sent the Catamaran that had been hired for the day to bring everyone back as the last tender and put their own tenders back on board the ship. Everyone was complaining as it was very warm and nowhere to sit. We were 1 hour late going into Dinner and felt we had to really rush our meal. It spoilt the whole evening.

Most passengers were retired, as are we, so I only saw a couple of children on Board, so I do not know what they did all the time. The last week was 6 days at sea and 1 day in Bali, and one Mom I spoke to said they could not wait to get back.

Disembarkation was OK, but there were not enough seats in the Premium lounge (Suite and Elite passengers only) .No one checked to see the letter they gave us saying that we could go in there and half the people had already been called to disembark and were still sitting there.

We feel that the money we paid for our Suite was not good value for money.

Trhols2's Full Rating Summary

Owner's Suite with Balcony
Cabin S2 C749

Cabin was a good size with a large Balcony , Table, 4 chairs and 2 loungers. Sitting Area was fine except the Sofa had seen better days. Bedroom had really good storage, plenty of drawers and a large walk in wardrobe. Bathroom had 2 vanities and spa bath.

Bangkok (Laem Chabang)

It was truly superb , could have stayed much longer

Koh Samui

Good tour and not too long a journey to get there. Ride on the Elephant was great

Bali

Beautiful scenery and good guide. Did not really like the Monkies to start with though.

Trhols2