3. Sapphire Princess
This is the first cruise my wife and I have gone on together. We have both cruised once before. She cruised with Norwegian; myself with Carnival. For the first time with Princess, I have to say we were both very pleased with the experience. Living in Arizona, we drove in the night before staying with a friend. So, we did not need a shuttle or hotel for this part of our vacation. We arrived at port just before noon. We were in group 7 and instantly thought this is going to be awhile. We waited for about 30 minutes before they called our number and within 10 minutes we were onboard. Surprisingly, our room was ready so we went to see our living quarters for the next week. We stayed in E100, an ocean view room on the Emerald deck. The room was small but very clean. For the limited space, it is organized as well as can be expected. I did move the small glass table into the closet to gain space. I had read on a review to bring a power strip but did not need it. There is a two plug outlet at the desk which covered all of our needs. The wall in front of the desk is mirrored so my wife used this area to put on her makeup and do her hair. It worked just fine. She never complained and we never got on either's nerves. As almost all of the reviews, the storage space was more than adequate. Our luggage arrived mid afternoon just as we expected. The ship is big and gorgeous. It is very clean and shows minimal wear. We were in the very front of the ship and I swear that was the longest hallway to walk. You definitely get your exercise. I had read the ship was difficult to find your way around so I expected issues. For this reason, I used the hallway to travel back and forth. Meaning if I was heading to the horizon court, I would walk to the aft, or back, of the ship then go up to deck 14. It made it so much easier. There are plenty of diagrams throughout showing where everything is. The food was good. I am not going to say it was the best but what can you expect when the kitchen is feeding over 2900 passengers. The horizon court had plenty of choices and was like any other buffet. The fruit, especially the pineapple, was fantastic. The poolside grill was good; the hot dog being the best. I had read this was an additional charge but it is not. I will say the choice dining left us confused for the first evening or two. So this part is VERY important to hear, we chose the late seating. I thought that meant that with 'your choice' we could eat at any one of the four restaurants onboard at 8:00. I was wrong. On your sea card, which is issued as your board the ship, it will state on the bottom what time and which restaurant you are assigned to. We were Vivaldi at 8:15 table 104. It was the third night before we figured this out. The dinner service was top notch and we were pleased once we got into the established routine. The cruise staff did a great job with the entertainment. We went to trivia once and had a great time. My wife really enjoyed Bingo and I think we only missed once. She won once. She was so loud that I nearly crawled under the table but the staff enjoyed her excitement. We went to most of the shows and I was very impressed with the singers and dancers. The girl singers were by far the best. We went to two comic acts and it was worth our time. The second day at sea was sunny and finally warm. The cruise staff did a great job on the pool deck with games and what not. The entire staff was very outgoing and welcoming. The cruise director, Josh, is hilarious. The disembarkation process was incredibly fast and very smooth. We received a packet with our arranged time which was 9:30 but received an alternative to walk off, carrying our own luggage, if we would like. We chose to walk off at 8:05. We gathered in the Explorers Lounge to be called. Just before our time, we were called and within 15 minutes we were in our car driving away. Neither of us could believe how easily we disembarked. They truly have this process down to a science. All in all, we really don't have any negative comments about our experience. I do wish the dinner seating had been explained more clearly. The Horizon Court is a little slow to clean tables or return with a drink. Rather than that, we had a great time and will do it again. The ports were enjoyable with my wife falling in love with Puerto Vallarta. The ship was beautiful and well maintained. I think as long as you use your hallway to travel the ship then up or down it is easy to navigate. The food and service was very good. We really enjoyed the entertainment so keep a close eye on the Princess Patter. It will be delivered each evening to your room with the schedule of the next day's events. My wife would tear off the page and keep it with us. You won't go wrong with choosing the Sapphire Princess for your cruise.

Fiesta on the Love Boat

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by brn2bcountry

brn2bcountry’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Sapphire Princess price drops

Cabin E100
Plenty of storage space, stateroom was small but well organized, clean!
  Sapphire Princess Deck Plans

• Cabo San Lucas
    Short of the Ocean, Cabo looks alot like Arizona. Desert! We tendered in from the ship due to the Sapphire being to large to dock here. Again, we did not arrange for an excursion but were greeted by plenty of people pushing excursions. We spoke to several people before finding the person we felt most comfortable. We found a nice guy who took us on a glass bottom boat, for $35 per person, for sight seeing and whale watching. The boat was very clean and took my wife and I alone. We got some great pictures of lands end and the arch. We saw seals. However, the highlight was the whales. I got some real nice pictures of hump back whales breaching out of the water. What an amazing sight to see. Cabo is smaller than the other ports we visited. It is pretty clean and new around the marina. We are here the shortest time but I was fine with it. I don't think I would want to have less time in Puerto Vallarta.
    View All 1,303 Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port Review
  • Mazatlan
    We did an excursion through Princess here. We did Salsa and Salsa. It was fun. I now know that I can not dance but it probably didn't help how many margaritas I had consumed. They definitely keep your cup full during this excursion. It takes place at a resort and you have use of the facility after it is over. You learn to make several salsas and a authentic margarita (mazarita). Then after all the drinking, you learn how to salsa dance. Ouch! It was fun but I don't know that I would do it again.
    View All 593 Mazatlan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mazatlan Cruise Port Review
  • Puerto Vallarta
    We did not reserve an excursion through Princess here. However, when we got off the boat we were bombarded with people pushing trips. We chose to go on a tour of the area with one of the people. Several of the people were very pushy and we chose to go with a gentleman that we felt most comfortable. The tour lasted for nearly five hours. We were able to see things we would have missed otherwise. He showed us different homes, schools, the cathedral, downtown, Elizabeth Taylor's home, the area from the movie "Night of the Iguana", the tequila factory and an awesome little restaurant off in the jungle. He never rushed us. He let us shop when we want, take pictures when we want and was very informative. My wife really enjoyed the area and we will likely go back on our own to a resort for vacation.
    View All 952 Puerto Vallarta Cruise Port Reviews