3. MSC Poesia
We departed from London Gatwick with BA a direct flight to Genoa , on arrival the weather was warm and sunny. We used a private transfer to the City costing 50euros for six they were very good. The hotel Best Western City Centre was well located for our one night stay. The rooms which had been recently refurbished were spacious and clean. Embarkation in Genoa with MSC was a fiasco, no snake queue, so everyone was pushing and shoving, mother nursing her baby and husband pushing a toddler were given no consideration, this needs sorting out MSC staff seemed to have no authority over the passengers. Disembarkation skills also a fiasco in Barcelona, 50mins of pushing and shoving, only one exit open used for foot passengers and excursions. MSC get your act together please! Only 56 Brits and a handful of Americans on this cruise. Found that the Italians keep themselves to themselves so found making conversation very difficult. Ship itself is immaculate, I mean immaculate, the continuous cleaning I have not seen to this extent on any other cruise line I have sailed on. The majority of the staff were excellent, especially Denny and Alex in the main restaurant. Not the same choice and quantity as on other liners but what was on offer was good. Speciality restaurants were always empty, 18 Euros for set Italian menu, Sushi restaurant various prices, minimum of 12 Euros in cheese and wine bar. Grill and Pizza prices were not on show, neither is the main restaurant menu, so difficult to decide where to eat! Asked why not on show and said to difficult to show in so many languages, but the main restaurant menu is printed in several!! Bar prices expensive, especially to us Brits. Beware if ordering a mixed drink; I was charged 6.90 Euros for a JD and then an extra 2.80euros for a can of sprite. When asked if I could of had a splash told no as only could sell a full glass from the tap. Soon became an expert smuggler. No hassle getting bottles aboard at ports. Superior Wine package added in the UK is £82 at embarkation and onboard same package 119euros? Large beer package for 14 is 59euros; soda package for 14 is 28euros. Cocktails and Liquor coffees are 5.90 Euros. No free tea, coffee, water or juice served at lunch or dinner. Free tea and coffee at afternoon tea at 4pm. Tip, order free room service available at breakfast only, order juice and milk for later in the day, we took a travel kettle with us. Also you can use the water vouchers from your wine package in the cafeteria, but they won't advertise this. Shows were different to the UK market but entertaining a lot of circus acts, band music in bars were poor, entertainment starts late in the evening so need to be night owls. Sea days are boring as not much entertainment, bingo 10euros for three tickets for one game ouch!!! No dress order in the restaurant, do not think they know what Formal and Informal means, tux, suits, cocktail dress, jeans, shorts and t shirts were the norm, no one was ever turned away. Need not have packed my glad rags. Cabin, suite on deck 15 was like a deluxe balcony on other ships but with a bath. No special services for these higher grade staterooms, i.e. priority embarkation or disembarkation etc. Fitments and decoration were immaculate though. Cabin stewards excellent. Excursions expensive, 45euros for a do it yourself trip by rail to Rome, we paid only 9euros for a return ticket which includes the underground in Rome from the shop inside the railway station. A free shuttle from the ship is available but not advertised by MSC. The station is 500mts from the port entrance where the shuttle drops you off. Trains every half hour, journey takes an hour and Is easy peasy. It was unfortunate that the weather was not at its best for this trip, a few sunny days but the majority of the time overcast. Disembarkation was more organised, although as an independent traveller I did have problems getting my departure time changed to an earlier one. It was pouring with rain in Genoa and I was pleased to see that our arranged private transfer was ready and waiting. Would I travel MSC again? It would not be my first choice, having sailed with Costa I feel that MSC have not yet catered for the UK and US market in Europe as they have done in the USA. I missed the opportunity of eating in the cafeteria as an alternative without having to pay extra, the drinks voucher system, no water, tea or coffee at meals seems to be penny pinching. The disorganisation needs addressing. MSC would certainly not be my first choice, would depend on cost and itinerary but prefer US ships.

MSC Poesia Again?

MSC Poesia Cruise Review by Dinkey

Dinkey’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get MSC Poesia price drops

Suite on deck 15 was more of a deluxe balcony cabin with bath. The decor was really nice and the large picture mirror was a great idea making the room seem bigger. The bathroom was nice with a nice deep bath and plenty of storage space. A walk in wardrobe with lots of hanging space and several draws and enough room to store your luggage. Extra cupboards available in the corridor area.

Balcony smaller than advertised in the brochure, no room for a sunlounger and large table as shown in the picture. Balcony, around the same size as normal balcony cabins.

Overall, nice cabin but no extra facilities for this higher grade stateroom, such as priority boarding, free water etc.
  MSC Poesia Deck Plans