Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Silver Syd

• Sail Date: Mar 2016
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Inside

We decided to take our family on a "breaking-in cruise" and because we are Snow Birds and have a place in Zephyrhills, Tampa is close by and a very convenient Port to be sailing from. Our principal residence is in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. We have two children, one is still single, the other is married with two children. My husband and I have been on a number of cruises but this was a first for the rest of the family. They usually visit us in Florida anyway and so this year we decided to combine their visit with a cruise ..... and what a great cruise it was! First let me say, we love Norwegian. Although The Star was lovely, The Sun is our favourite, I guess because we have been on it a number of times and feel "at home" there. But The Star is good too - we like this size of ship.

The Kid's Club was a big hit for 8 yr old Madelyn and 4 yr old Colby. Colby got to be a tiger in the Circus Finale in the Stardust Theatre. Imagine a 4 yr old, made up as a Tiger, on that big stage. He loved it. Later they both went to the Kid's Club Pyjama Party. The whole week was memorable for them. We took them to the Cast Shows - Madelyn is very much into dancing and we thought she should see the work that goes into those shows. She was not disappointed. My husband and I are now "Platinum" and so took our daughter & son-in-law for a 'special dinner' with us - each couple with a bottle of wine 'on the house'. Although I don't think La Cucina is all that special (mainly, I guess because we like the Caesar Salad better in the Versailles and with bacon bits), it was still nice to have a nice quiet dinner away from the children while Uncle Tyler babysat. Actually, they ended up going to the Kid's Club so everyone was happy.

We found that the embarkation and disembarkation went very smoothly. We had to wait while my daughter's rental cars were returned and then picked-up again on return, while our car sat in the very convenient parking lot. But that didn't seem to take all that long either.

We were in "inside" cabins - 4 in one and 3 in the other. At first I couldn't imagine 7 days in this situation BUT after getting organized, it was terrific. No matter how big the room, we'd still have been 4 people in one room and 3 in the other. It worked very well. It would have been nice if the shelving in the closet was on rollers - a little hard to be bending over digging into that bottom shelf.

We went on two excursions but my daughter being Miss Organization herself, booked them on-line .... in Roatan they all headed for West Bay Beach while my husband and I sat in the Monkey La-La Bar drinking the local beer because it was so hot in the sun; in Belize we went Cave Tubing (fabulous - with a really good lunch & rum punch - the Owner's name was Vitalino Reyes - a very well organized family company); the ship missed Costa Maya due to rough waters; and in Cozumel we swam with the dolphins. Even me - 73 years old. First being pushed on the foot by Mariana (the dolphin) while on the Boogie Board and then riding on Mariana's belly holding for dear life to her fins. A great experience.

My husband and I usually love playing Trivia but only played once on this Cruise. I don't think Staff treats Trivia seriously enough (on any cruise). We Trivia Players are serious or we wouldn't be there. I did play Bridge twice but that wasn't organized either. I went into La Cucina and saw one man from Quebec sitting there playing Solitaire. He had come to play Bridge. I did speak to 2 people the night before (also coincidently from Canada) and set out to find them. By golly I did and we set-up a Bridge Game for that afternoon and again the next day. I was in heaven.

My husband and I enjoy eating in The Versailles as much as possible. He says he eats too much if he goes to the buffet. We like bacon bits on our Caesar Salad and the staff very agreeably managed to get them for us. We don't like to cause trouble, but hey when you are having such good food, you might was well ask for that little extra. We were happy. Best Caesar Salad ever! And I think we had it with every dinner - I know my husband did.

I found this cruise to be as good as any I've been on - even though I prefer longer cruises, this was perfect for our purposes. The family loved it and will have great memories for a long time to come. Thank you Norwegian.

Silver Syd's Full Rating Summary

Inside
Cabin ID 9565

We like the cabins better on The Sun because they are bigger with a sofa. The showers on The Star, however, are better than on The Sun. I keep forgetting to bring hair conditioner/cream rinse with me and wish it was provided (separate from the shampoo).

Silver Syd