3. Navigator of the Seas
We sailed on the Navigator as a family of six, two adults and four children ages 5-15. We stayed in a family room (8200). The room was excellent with plenty of space for all of us and our luggage. I found the closet space a bit awkward as your hanging items block the shelf storage but that was a small issue. Our cabin steward was new to the ship but he was great. It was nice that he came twice a day as one of our children slept on a pull out bed. Our steward always put it back to a couch while we had breakfast. My biggest complaint about the room would be that the upholstered furniture is rather dingy and stained. The location on the eighth level was great. 3 levels down to the promenade and dining room or three levels up to the windjammer and the pools. We rarely used the elevators. The pool areas are crowded. We were unable to find chairs. But we enjoyed swimming although the pool water is very salty. Our kids really enjoyed the climbing wall and the skating rink. Our two younger children used the kids club facilities every day and they loved it! The staff in the youth areas are excellent and we can't say enough good things about the children's programming on the Navigator. We also played on the sports court, and played several games of ping pong and mini golf. The shows were good but not great. We enjoyed the ice show and there was a ventriloquist that was excellent. The tenors of Las Vegas were also very good. There were two other musical type shows that were average. I wish there had been more variety in the type of shows. A comic would have been a great addition. The performers in the pool areas were very good. As for food I have mixed reviews. The Windjammer was a disappointment. This mainly due to lack of variety. It is almost exactly the same every day. And I found the service in the windjammer quite poor. A few times I ordered tea from a server and it would never come. My omelet order was wrong more than it was right. And you have to stand around waiting for your omelet which makes it crowded in that area. The food in the Windjammer was just OK. You can always find something to eat but I felt it could easily be better. I have only been on one other cruise but the buffet offerings on that one were much better. Cafe Promenade is good. The pizza there is better than anywhere else on the ship. However, same problem in that it is the exact same sandwiches and dessert offerings every day. Service is great in the cafe though. The main dining room is what made our trip. It was great. The food was very good and our servers were amazing with our kids. We had my time dining but ended up choosing the same time and table every night as we enjoyed our servers so much. Not every dish was a home run but overall I left satisfied every night. The soups tended to be too salty so I avoided them. The salads were great. For us the main dining room wasn't just about the food but rather the overall experience. Our kids had fun "dressing up" for dinner and trying new foods. Forming a relationship with your servers and having fun during your meal makes it a special part of a cruise. The main dining room is also excellent for lunch, far better than the offerings in the Windjammer. The salad bar in the MDR at lunch is phenomenal and was my favourite thing to eat. My biggest complaint is that we were forced to pay our gratuities at the time of booking because we choose my time dining. Once you do that the gratuities are not able to be adjusted. Because we were a larger group we ended up having to reserve our table each night if we didn't want to wait for a table. So we did not have the flexibility we expected with my time dining and we lost the ability to adjust our gratuities. I am not certain we would have adjusted them but as a family of 6 we paid a lot each day in gratuities and other than the MDR we didn't feel that the service was worth that amount. Our embarkation and disembarkation both went well. I was worried based on previous reviews but it wasn't bad. Yes terminal 29 is not in the greatest condition but we arrived at 12:30 and were were on the ship an hour later and our room was ready. On our return we got off the ship at 8:00, collected our bags, went though customs, and were at the airport by 8:45. Overall it was a great trip. If I could I would give a 3.5 rating as it was better than average but I also wouldn't quite go all the way to very good. Had there been more variety in the Windjammer and if the entertainment was a bit more varied it would easily have been a 4 to 4.5 rating. We would sail with RC again especially since they are among the few cruise lines that offer a family room that sleep six, but we would probably try a different ship next time just to see what the others have to offer.

Cruising the Caribbean