3. Norwegian Sun
We booked this cruise as soon as it became available and received many good tips on CC about which direction (Westbound) and side of the ship (Starboard) were optimal. We were in a Mini suite on deck 11 and were kind of concerned about the condition of the rooms and ship from the negative reviews. It wasn't an issue at all. The ship was in good shape and our room was outstanding. The drapes and chair/sofa coverings were maybe 1 year old. Our cabin steward was outstanding. The bathroom with the walk in closet was terrific. Bar soap and conditioner was provided along with robes. There was one morning when the water shut off unexpectedly for 20 minutes, but fortunately we were on our way to breakfast and it wasn't an issue for us. We have had this happen on other NCL ships too. We had read about long waits at embarkation, so we arrived at the port at 11:00 and received boarding #4. We were called a little before Noon and the process went quickly. It is different from other port in that you don't really "check in" and get your key card until you are on the ship. They have stations and laptops set up in the MDR on deck 5 midship. We loved the itinerary and enjoyed all of our ship excursions. Peter Croyle's presentations on sea days were very helpful on the ports and wildlife. The history sections were not so interesting. We did miss Cape Horn completely due to weather the night before and a medical emergency. But did make it to the Falkland Islands where we were able to use all the heavy coats, hats and gloves we had brought along. Sailing into Ushuaia at night was wonderful. Tip: the ship photographers have great pictures available for $2 each of all the memorable sights. Dining. We preferred the Four Season MDR to Seven Seas - Better service and Seven Seas had a major HVAC problem making it like a sauna. We ate at Le Bistro and Cagney's several times - very good. We knew the Sun did not have a 24 hour dining venue, but hope that gets corrected with the dry dock. They can revamp the underutilized Las Ramblas space or use the Sports Bar. Food in both on our cruise was only at night and not good. We avoided the buffet due to the small space and poor layout. The Moderno alternative for breakfast or lunch was ok. There was no sparkling wine the initial two days of the cruise. Not even the house sparkling they give away. With my UBP, I tried some new drinks, but was happy when the prosecco came back on board.....until a couple of days later when they were substituting it for the house sparkling without disclosing the switch. I can't drink the house on its own. A quick call to the F&B Manager and chatting with my favorite bar tenders straightened that out. Apparently, their order was short many cases. I did spend a lot of $ in cash tips on board. Apparently the 18% tacked on to the drink and dining packages doesn't really make it to the servers nor does adding $ to your tab. Luckily I brought lots of $5's and $10's. We had a good turnout for the Meet & Greet and the Group Coordinator, May, is a rock star. Many officers attended and answered questions. We also had a CC cabin crawl that was a lot of fun - thanks Marcia. There was a nice mix of fellow cruisers. Not all Americans. A lot of Spanish speakers that had a hard time figuring their way to the aft of the ship since it is 1. very confusing and 2. all signs are in English. The guest entertainment was so so. We skipped most based on the welcome aboard show. But the Tango dancers and America's Got Talent opera singer were fine as was the production show band - particularly the female sax player. The Spanish trio in the atrium and their dancing fan club were a lot of fun. We enjoyed the trivia games. The cruise director and his staff all spoke Spanish so again it was a nice mix. We teamed up with a family from CC for progressive trivia and had a great time. The unlimited internet package was too much for this 14 day cruise. I bought the 250 minute package and had no trouble using the internet café computers. I didn't bother trying to connect with my iphone from my room since the wifi signal was not strong enough. We used iConcierge on the iphone though for checking our on board charges, making dinner reservations and seeing the activities scheduled for the day. Overall we really enjoyed the cruise and highly recommend it and the Sun.

Bucket List Cruise to South America

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by herdingdogmom

• Sail Date: January 2016
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

Overall we really enjoyed the cruise and highly recommend it and the Sun.
herdingdogmom’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 1215
Fantastic cabin. The bathroom is great and a huge upgrade from mini suites on other ships.
Pool Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins