3. Costa Victoria
It was Chinese New Year holiday and we wanted to go somewhere without the hassle of flying. This cruise had a good itinerary where we cruised to Ishigaki and Okinawa. Food: Never have high expectation of food on the cruise and I would say their food was decent. The pizza bar with freshly made was good though. Having an outdoor patio lunch while sailing back into Victoria harbor was one of the highlights of the trip. For breakfast, you get a choice to go to the dinning room or at the buffet area. Most people would like to go to the buffet area which is at the top deck with floor to ceiling windows but the area is definitely too small and you need to wait for empty tables or just each standing up. One day they had a 2-4-1 beer promotion but the waiters had no clue about it. I asked them to check and they still came back not knowing about it and asked me where I got the information. I told them it was from their daily newsletter but they still couldn't figure it out. Finally, I had to go to the restaurant entrance, grab a copy of the newsletter and show them. Some service eh! Night shows: The nightly shows were good. Different shows for each night so we could go to see all of them without feeling bored. The tenor at one of the lounges was awesome. On-board entertainment: Limited games or classes during daytime and they don't welcome kids to join. This is rather strange as I thought cruise lines are supposed to be family friendly. The cooking demonstration was a joke! The night dances was OK and teh crew tried to create good atmosphere but the dance area is small and tight. Public area: The design of this boat is definitely outdated. Public toilets were limited and small. To make it worst, the plumbing did not work in some of them and you can imagine how horrible they came to be. In Ishigaki, disembarkation was delayed and people were stuck in one of the lounges, the toilet cleanliness was terrible. On the last day, also noticed one of the toilets near the basketball court cracked in the bottom with water leaking out!!! Gym: Forget it, it was tiny and with old equipment. Indoor pool: more like a tub. Outdoor: cannot really use it given the season we are travelling in. Excursions: Several HK travel agents set up counters for excursions, I guess that's the business model. We feel that we can go on our own so did not join any of them. In Ishigaki, I booked a car and the company picked us up just outside the pier. Car rental is really cheap (3,000 yen) and the streets are quiet and easy to drive with a GPS. It was too bad that we went during off-season so when we drove to one of the famous restaurants for Ishigaki beef, it was not opened. Then we went to one of the local places for all-you-can-eat BBQ and about an hour into the lunch, the shop had a power interruption. Even though the power came back later but the restaurant decided to refund the money to every customers and the restaurant was full, I wanted to leave them a good tip but they refused to accept. I really feel the Japanese sincerity and hospitality! In Okinawa, disembarkation was much smoother as don't need to go through immigration again. We took a taxi to the Outlet Mall ASHIBINAA and had great shopping there. Then taxi back to city center and wonder around in International Street. Room: The ship was renovated a year or two ago so the room is decent if a bit small. We have an inner cabin. All-in-all, the cruise was OK, just bear in mind that it is a ship with old design so even after renovation, the amenities and space could not be compared with newer ships. But if you find a good deal on it, it is still an enjoyable cruise.

Handicapped by the old design.

Costa Victoria Cruise Review by MidAgeG

• Sail Date: February 2016
  • Destination: Asia

On-board entertainment:

The cooking demonstration was a joke!

Public area:

Gym: Forget it, it was tiny and with old equipment.

Indoor pool: more like a tub.

Outdoor: cannot really use it given the season we are travelling in.

Excursions: