3. Silver Shadow
This was our fourth Silversea cruise and we would list this trip as our least favourite. Silversea did a fantastic job of taking care of us but after two expedition cruises - the Arctic and the Galapagos - we found ourselves missing all of the activities involved with the expedition experience. Sure we could take a tour to a mall or a beach but these options didn't interest us. The one kayaking trip on the cruise was cancelled as we were the only people interested in it. This was our error as we really should have done a better job of researching the ports before booking. The food was very good in all locations although dining outside at Le Terraza and Hot Rocks were our favourites. The service on the ship was always first rate, I loved the California Chardonnays and the champagne and our butler was always available when we needed anything. Unfortunately my hubby picked up a virus a few days into the trip and he suffered with it for most of the cruise. The ship doctor took great care of him and saw him each day until he started feeling better. My only real complaint during our time onboard was the saving of lounge chairs. Daily we would see people come up to the deck and put their personal belongings on "their" chairs and then disappear for a few hours. Silversea asked people not to do this but more and more people did as the cruise continued on. I found myself taking people's belongings off chairs when I couldn't find a shady place to sit and then I would get glared at upon their return. This made me feel very uncomfortable and after a while, I just gave in and sat over by the Panorama lounge in the smoking section. Not ideal and it left a bad taste in my mouth. At the end of the day I would sail Silverseas again but we will stick to the Expedition ships going forward.

Silver Shadow