3. Norwegian Epic
On the Saturday as we sailed on the Wednesday we had the offer of an upgrade to a 2 bedroomed suite in the Haven Club, and I was so glad I did this. Had we not I think we would have 'jumped ship' in Gran Canaria. Our suite was first class, we had our own Butler and access to the Haven restaurant, bar and lounge area, also a dedicated sunbathing area. However, on a couple of occasions we ventured down onto Deck 15, the Garden Café, this was a complete nightmare. Too many people, not enough seating (poor weather conditions meant, everyone was inside), not enough crockery and cutlery, huge queues at the food stations, staff doing their best in difficult circumstances. We went into the Shanghai restaurant, very crowded, and food disappointing, after that experience we ate every night in the Haven. People who we met who booked the speciality restaurants, at an added cost, said the Haven was far better. We booked to see the Cique Dreams show with dinner at a cost of 47$ per person, it wasn't worth it. We do not like the idea of having to pre book all the shows you want to see, but I expect that with 4000 people on board, that is the only way you are guaranteed to get a seat in the restaurant. We have cruised many times with different cruise companies, but this is the first time that the Beverage Package (Ultimate) does not allow you to have bottled water or cappuccino coffee, and as it cost 70$ per person a day, I thought this was very poor. If you want wine you order it by the glass, if you order a bottle you are charged, but you do get a 20% discount!! There is a $7.95 charge per person for room service and the drinks package does not extend to having free drinks in your room if room service deliver them, you are charged, however, you can go to the bar get drinks and take them back to your cabin. Everything on board is geared to you spending more money. We did go down to Guest Relations and asked to have the 'on board gratuities' taken off our account, as we prefer to tip individually for good service, they did this without any fuss, and speaking to other guests they did the same. The shore bound excursions are expensive, we found it better to walk off the ship and negotiate a price with the local taxi drivers, better service and generally cheaper. Unless you have money to burn, do not even think about using the Mandara Spa $180 for a massage, there is a private spa area, for which there is a charge of $170 per person for the 11 day cruise, but on a couple of days they had to empty the spa pool as the weather was poor and the ship was 'rocking'. Personally we enjoyed ourselves, but this was due in the main to having the suite, had we been in our original cabin on Deck 13, I think it would have been a different story all together. Personally speaking, if you like your cruise to have quiet areas, set dining times and to go down to dinner smartly dressed, Norwegian is not for you. However, if you like informality, noise and queuing for your meals then you would enjoy this ship. This was our first and last cruise with NCL.

We were lucky.

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Spannygranny

Had we not I think we would have 'jumped ship' in Gran Canaria.

This was our first and last cruise with NCL.
Spannygranny’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Courtyard Villa with Balcony
Cabin H4 16004
Cabin overall was spacious, the bed was very comfortable and with a choice of pillows. There is not much room between the bed and the wall, my husband and I are not large people and we both struggled to get in and out of bed with ease and comfort. I do not like the concept of opaque glass doors on the shower and toilet, I like my privacy.

Tassimo coffee machine and an endless supply of coffee/milk/sugar was a bonus.

The shower and toilet doors need stronger locks on them, if the sea is rough the doors bang open all the time, not conducive to a good nights sleep.
Deck 17 Suite Cabins