MSC Divina Cruise Review

Best Cruise Yet!

MSC Divina Cruise Review by sphsjags

• Sail Date: Apr 2014
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean

I write this review having been on only two cruises ever with this having been my first.

I was thoroughly impressed with the entire ship and later realized everyone was correct in saying that most are not like the MSC Divina. The entire ship was decorated lavishly, but not in a way that made you feel like you didn't belong. It was a modernly elegant design with marble, crystal, and the like.

Our room was a balcony and was plenty comfortable for the two of us. We were directly below the buffet, but the chair noise did not bother us. It also allowed for quick eats and no need to wait on the elevator. One nifty feature regarding the room is requiring your room card in a slot to activate the lights. While this is intended to prevent excess power consumption when you are out and about, any card with a magnetic stripe will allow the lights to be on when you are away. Our room steward, though now I forget his name, was extremely friendly. We saw him many times in the halls and he called us each by name. He seemed to anticipate what we needed so we did not need to ask him for anything extra.

I have heard some people say that the food was not the best ever. I can only speak to my experience and the culture that the cruise line comes from. The buffet was excellent for breakfast and most other meals. Their pizza offering was outstanding, which is expected considering they are from Italy. We ate in the main dining room for dinner twice. While we enjoyed the service and food there, we found the real treasure of the ship; the steakhouse. We were surprised to be the only (seriously) people eating in the steakhouse most of the cruise. We tried all of their steaks, appetizers, and desserts. Each was fantastic and we had a heard time deciding which we wanted to eat again after having tried them all. The wait staff was en pointe, although this could be because they were not spread across us and a bunch of other tables.

The entertainment is a mixed review. They had people playing instruments often in the Piazza del Doge and the main atrium. We loved the trivia and dueling piano performances. We made some good friends in our trivia group and the dueling pianos attracted a fun and lively crowd. They have an adult nightclub area which was fun, along with some movies on the deck. The shows, however, were not quite our cup of tea. They had one comedian who unfortunately only had middle school level jokes to offer. I understand that this was just on one sailing and not representative of the ship/line as a whole. The other performances were more fine arts such as ballet and dancing.

The public areas were nice. I was happy that they only allowed smoking in one room on the ship. Even walking by the room you could not smell it. The library was in an odd location and was not overly stocked, though I'm not aware of the proper amount of books for a cruise ship library. We did not do any of the excursions offered, which I now regret. Going back I would have done the "How We Pull it Off" tour of the ship. We did not utilize the fitness and recreation facilities. However, I did get my hair cut aboard the ship. My style included one sideburn being trimmed and the other not. I did not notice this until my boyfriend pointed it out upon my return to the room. I now check for that every time I get my hair cut anywhere!

If MSC were still sailing out of the USA, I would definitely cruise with them again.

sphsjags's Full Rating Summary