3. Radiance of the Seas
I've cruised before, but this was my first experience with Royal Caribbean. The ship was about twice the size of anything that I've cruised on before, and I confess that I was a bit apprehensive about the public areas being like Oxford Street on a Saturday before Christmas, but to be fair, the ship is big enough to accommodate the circa 2000 people aboard without feeling crowded. The balcony room my wife and I had was perfectly adequate, nothing more, nothing less. The décor and fittings were a little tired, as was much of the boat, but I go on holiday for the experience, not to inspect whether the handrails have been re-varnished recently. The little touches we've had on other lines, like the complimentary bath/shower stuff, soap, etc. in that little net bag were missing, as was the chocolate waiting on the pillow. Minor things, perhaps; but if they are going to give it the grandiose title of a "stateroom", then, in my view, it should live up to the billing. It did not. The food was largely very good wherever we ate, so no complaints there. I'd advise anyone cruising in warmer climes to take breakfast alfresco: Windjammer, right at the back of the ship past the crab house. Lovely. Tables, chairs, fresh air, the sound of the sea. Welcome to the real environment that you are sailing in. Eat what you like, at your own pace. Feel like you are on a ship, not some homogenised, air conditioned, *mock Tudor / *Renaissance / *Retro Plastic Diner. * delete as appropriate. The staff on board varied wildly. Our cabin attendant made sure that we knew he could not do enough for us, whilst sometimes, some of the bar staff gave the impression that they had better things to do. The people in the restaurant delivered faultlessly throughout, as good as any other restaurant we've been to, anywhere. Top notch. It wasn't a bad cruise, but the reason why I'd never sail with this line again is because: YOU ARE VIEWED AS A REVENUE STREAM (a wallet), that RCI want to empty. (Rewind back to boarding) The room isn't ready. OK, so we are invited to explore the ship. We hadn't taken 4 steps off the gangplank, "hi there, do want to upgrade your drinks package?" "the restaurant wine package has 10% off if you book today" "If you book the deal now, there's 10% off so and so's restaurant" Then the excursions, then the bloody photographer. I think you get the drift I haven't even let go of my freakin luggage yet. Why are you all in my face? Where's the glass of fizz? Where is the welcome aboard, paying guest? This theme continued throughout our cruise, the only difference being that the discounts towards whatever increased as the end of the cruise approached. I won't even go there about tipping. Not my cup of tea at all ta.

Royal Caribbean? Not my cup of tea, thanks.

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by seamonster1871

I've cruised before, but this was my first experience with Royal Caribbean.

YOU ARE VIEWED AS A REVENUE STREAM (a wallet), that RCI want to empty.

(Rewind back to boarding)

Then the excursions, then the bloody photographer.

I think you get the drift

I won't even go there about tipping.

Not my cup of tea at all

ta.