3. Magellan
My sister and I loved every minute of this cruise! We found Magellan to be like a well loved holiday home - not immaculate and glitzy, but comfortable, friendly and with plenty to do. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to an outside cabin, which was quite roomy with enough storage space for our 6 week trip (a pre-booking concern), and a great shower. The cabin steward, Viktoriya, kept it immaculate and was always available if we needed anything. We ate in the restaurant most evenings - a 5 course meal which was always varied with sensible sized portions, so that we didn't end up like house sides by the end of the cruise. Lunches we mostly ate in the bistro where there was a good variety including a live cooking and pizza station, plus a grill serving chicken, salad and burgers. It was not gourmet cooking, but it never pretended to be so, although I think some passengers expected that. During days at sea there were lots of activities to try - quizzes, dancing, choir, drama, ukelele playing, crafts, shuffleboard, table tennis, bridge - or plenty of space on deck to sunbathe and chat to fellow passengers if you preferred to do very little. In hot weather the larger pool was very refreshing for a dip. The lectures were mostly very interesting especially those about the places we were to visit, and I particularly lived Alan's talks (he is artist in residence at Durham University) about art and lots of other things he is passionate about. The entertainment team were also terrific - different shows for 42 nights is quite a feat, not to mention the cabarets, deck parties and classical recitals. They were also all extremely personable around the ship. The itinerary of the cruise was very varied with a really good mixture of ports, and being a smaller ship we seemed to be able to visit smaller ports that could not accommodate larger ships. We particularly liked Alto do Chao in the Amazon, a rather laid back sort of place, with good swimming and lots of little bars and eateries along the beach and riverbank. We would have liked a longer stay there. Devil's Island was also fascinating and thought-provoking with most of the penal buildings still in tact. I have read other reviews, including some very negative ones, and although I agree with some of the negative points, to me they were of minor importance. To us, the most important things were the sociability of the passengers, the friendliness and hard work of the crew, the itinerary and the time to do as little or as much as we wanted. We could have done it all over again!! If you go, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we did.

Amazon, West Indies, and Azores

Magellan Cruise Review by jennyren

If you go, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we did.
jennyren’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

Cabin was quite roomy and kept immaculately clean. There was enough storage for our 4 case-loads! Suitcases kept under the bed could also be used for rotating clothes i.e. winter clothes could be stored whilst in warmer climes. The shower room was very adequate with a terrific shower. There was a washing line in the shower which was useful for washing through smaller items. We also took a circular dryer which we hung in the cabin and pegged clothes to once they had stopped dripping - they were dry the next day. Heating and air conditioning was OK but nothing stopped the Amazon being hot and humid! No ironing facility was a bit of a drawback, but the laundry prices were reasonable. We found we spent very little time in the cabin as here was so much to see and do elsewhere, but it felt like home!