3. Grand Princess
We are elite with Princess but before we had a chance to say this, we were whisked into the long line to check in. It did not take too long, but we could have avoided the wait. We booked an inside cabin this time and found that we had adequate room. We did not mind it at all. Since we were next to the elevators, we noticed some noise of the cables the first night, but after that I guess we were used to it. Our room steward was excellent. We also took advantage of having our laundry done every few days. Room service in the morning was always on time and the coffee was hot. I agree with another reviewer regarding the amount of paper we received in our mailbox advertising spa specials, jewellery, t-shirt sales, and auctions. I also don't care for all of the sales in the walkways around the shops, or tables set up to promote the spa, wine tastings etc. It cheapens the whole experience. My husband and I enjoy going to the lectures that are sometimes offered onboard. I enjoyed the art lectures, but my husband missed the history lectures that he so enjoyed while on the Sea Princess in Australia. On our Alaska cruise we enjoyed the lectures about the flora and fauna. In both Alaska and the Baltic we had great port lectures too. We were given ideas on what to do in each port, what would be available at the terminal for a shuttle to the town centres etc. This cruise seemed to focus more on shopping at the ports. There were no historical lectures or cultural ones about the ancient Mexican cultures. Trivia was a big hit and was popularly attended several times a day. Zumba was also popular. So much so, that a bigger venue is needed. It was very crowded and I'm amazed that no one tripped or fell over anyone. The art auctions were interesting, but a little long. Raffle tickets could have been given away for trivia questions during the auction (as they were on other cruises). The mystery auctions are always fun! Dining in the dining rooms seemed to take a long time. We had anytime dining and missed the show the first night because the line to get into the dining room was long and then we had to wait so long to order and receive our food. Our waiter was going as fast as he could, but he had several tables to finish up before he could start our table and he kept apologizing. We learned to go to the dining room as soon as it opened so we could get to the theatre after dinner. We skipped dessert and coffee several times and ate in the Horizon too, in order to speed up the dining. The service was always good - I am not complaining about the waiters. I feel sorry for the waiters at times, because on a couple occasions (in the buffet and in the dining room) I noticed the maitre d' or someone who oversaw the staff, brusquely telling a waiter to do something. I understand that they may need some direction at times, but perhaps they could treat them a little more gently, especially in front of the passengers. I felt uncomfortable when I saw and heard this. We enjoyed the Princess Singers and Dancers very much. The comedians were also good. There was a good variety of entertainment. We loved watching the main male singer in the band Static! He had so much energy. And the band sounded great too! I was never in Crooners or the Atrium for a long enough time to comment on the singers/pianists there. We watched the Wake Show every morning as a review of what would be happening on the ship that day. We gradually became used to the goofiness of the cruise director and his assistant. The ship received new carpet in the aft section of the Horizon and also on the deck in that area. Yes, there is some wear and tear in various areas of the ship, but nothing that was dreadful. I noticed crew repairing and painting all the time. The one area I didn't see much cleaning/polishing was on the stairway railings and they did seem sticky at times. I know nothing can be done about the lack of stairs in the centre of the ship, but that was one feature I really missed. I usually try to avoid the elevators as much as possible, using the stairs (for speed and exercise). Since our cabin was midship we had to walk to the aft or forward to reach the steps. If an elevator was opening as I exited my room, I often grabbed it rather than walking down the corridor, dodging carts and other people, to reach the stairs. We took the ship excursion in Manzanillo that visited the ruins near Colima. That part was interesting, but the long stand in the stairwell with the murals in the Colima government building and the long explanations in the museum were tedious. The group was too large for all of us to hear the guide, but he was also too long winded. Many people started wandering off. We took the local bus in PV to the malecon and then wandered around the town. I picked up a notebook in Walmart since there was no paper or notebooks to be bought in the ship shops. In Mazatlan we took a tour with Vista Tours. The pick-up at the pier did not arrive until the exact time and then took us to the other end of the city to divide us into our various excursions there. The town had many streets closed off because of the Mardi Gras parade that was going to take place later in the afternoon. This made it difficult to reach some of the areas we were supposed to visit. The market was the highlight. Loved it! In Cabo we negotiated a boat ride out to the Arch for 7 pesos each + $1 port fee, and enjoyed our driver/guide's explanations. We were the only ones in his boat and he was quite eager to please us. We were out with him for about 45 minutes. Then we walked along the water and into the town centre. The nachos at Wabo Cabo were tasty and we quite enjoyed the atmosphere there. Disembarkation was smooth. We waited in the Da Vinci Diningroom which was set aside for Elite and Suite passengers.

Waste of Paper!