3. Norwegian Sun
Sorry it took me almost a year to post this! My family had a very good vacation on the Sun. There were a LOT of college spring breakers on board, and they really created a fun atmosphere. We never saw anyone get too out of control, other than a few people stumbling back from Senor Frog's at one of the ports. Overall, it was a great bunch of young people having a good time with their friends. We found that the buffet food was subpar, the main dining room service was slow, and the MDR food hit-and-miss. However, all the specialty restaurants were very good. It was a bit disappointing to have to pay extra for the food and service we had come to expect after 5 cruises on Carnival. The guitar player Nick was extremely good. James the piano player was not my style but the older folks seemed to like him. The show band and singers & dancers were very good. Juggling comedian Barry was excellent. My teens enjoyed comedian Tim Kaminsky. George Solomon was horrible. Not a good way to end the cruise entertainment-wise. Overall we had a great time on this well-maintained, aging ship. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We will consider NCL in the future.

We're going back to Carnival next time.

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by jimmygu3

Sorry it took me almost a year to post this!

jimmygu3’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 0023
This was a fine cabin. No loud noises from above or below. Balcony was nice.
Norway Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cave-Tubing
    This is a really fun adventure. It's worth it to do the longer version if you get the choice. First cave was quiet and intimate. Second, when all the big tours joined, was kind of a zoo, but the cave was still beautiful. Our guide was amazing, telling us about the island and all the nature as we walked for 30 minutes to get to the put-in point. Booked through http://www.cave-tubing.com/
    View All 337 Cave-Tubing Reviews
  • Beach
    First, let me say that Costa Maya is a joke. The cruise lines should be embarrassed that they stop here. It is literally a ghost town, with nearly all of the businesses near the port boarded up. You have to get on a shuttle to go into Mahahual, the nearby town. While on the shuttle, you stop at several tourist traps and have to endure the high pressure pitch to go there. Don't. Just take it all the way into town and get off at the Tropicante Ameri-Mex Grill. As long as you eat and/or drink, they give you access to beach chairs & cabanas. The food was just ok, but they had cold beer and wifi, which my whole family enjoyed. My wife and daughter walked a couple blocks to a store and felt like they were being stalked by some local men. Yeah, really nice place, huh? Go directly to Tropicante and directly back to the ship and you'll make the best of Costa Maya.
  • Cozumel
    Carlos & Charlies is a spring break beach blast, complete with conga lines and shooters poured directly into your mouth. No charge for admission or the beach chairs, as long as you're eating/drinking. We had done (the much more civilized) Paradise Beach 2 years before, but now they wanted a hefty fee just to walk in the door. We had the cabbie take us next door to C&C's.
    View All 6,796 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Tampa
    This is a really easy port. We parked at a lot 3 blocks away and the shuttle took us to the port. You just go up an escalator and you're there. Quick and easy.
    View All 577 Tampa Cruise Port Reviews