3. Navigator of the Seas
Let me first say that even though this cruise did not meet my expectations I am & most likely will always be a loyal Royal Caribbean cruiser. Next off even though we had problems the other 4 in our group had no complaints at all. I guess it was just our luck and when it rains it pours so to speak. To begin we flew into Ft. Lauderdale airport on American Airlines and were there by 1:30pm. Boarding the Navigator of the Seas ship was a bit confusing. We've always gone out of the port of Miami and this one is totally different. It was like walking into a big warehouse and at first we weren't sure we were at the right place. Finally, a very nice representative directed us to where we needed to go. The check in agent on the other hand seemed to care less about being there and was very rude and never smiled. That should've been our first clue of what we had to look forward to for the next 4 days but we ignored it and went on about our way. When we boarded the ship we went directly to our balcony stateroom. The moment we opened the door we got a huge whiff of mold & mildew but once again we ignored it and just frebreezed everything down and opened the balcony door. We just assumed it was the normal "sea smell" that happens sometimes and that it would go away soon enough. (It didn't but I'll get back to that later.) Next we went to the Windjammer for lunch & to meet up with the other 4 in our group. That all went well enough, though I was a little confused by the fact that it was a buffet except for the desserts. When I asked the lady for 6 cookies (one for every one in the group)I was told that I could only get 2 at a time. So I took my 2 and told the others sorry but they'd have to get there own. After that we just explored the ship for a few hours, played some mini golf, and then returned to the room to get unpacked and prepare for the muster drill. From then on that day everything went fine until that night. I went to use the toilet & found that there was no toilet seat. There was a lid but no seat. Then,while we were getting ready for dinner my husband noticed a damp spot on the floor, I thought it was most likely my fault because I forgot my soap in my bag & had to jump out of the shower to retrieve it, but when I felt the spot myself I realized we had a problem. It was an area about 2 feet by 2 feet right in front of the sofa area obviously not just a few wet foot prints from me. We tried to tell the room steward but quickly realized he didn't understand english very well. So, before dinner we went to the guest services to report the wetness, the toilet seat, and to ask for an extra bath towel. The lady (Cora) there was very kind and understanding & told us she'd have it all checked out. So, off to dinner we went. When we arrived at our dining room we had to wait for someone to take us to our table. When they finally came by they didn't escort us but instead pointed in the general direction and told us that our table was, "somewhere over there." Very disappointing to say the least. The food though was very good and after wards we skipped dessert and instead went to Ben & Jerry's for ice cream.(YUM!) Day 2 - First Day at Sea- Started out okay. Woke up early to go to the main dining room for breakfast but my husband was told that swim trunks were not allowed so we went to windjammer instead and had the best ham & cheese omelets ever. For the rest most the day we just hung out, played some more mini golf, and watched to adult dodge ball tournament.(Very entertaining)I did lay out for about 2-3 hours and was surprised that the whole time out there not one person asked if I'd like a drink or needed anything. It wasn't a big deal considering that I typically prefer to be left alone when sunbathing but the lady next to me noticed and was rather ticked that she had to get up & go get her drinks. Skip to that night- Once again we started getting ready for dinner and our floor was wet again! At this point we knew something was majorly wrong and we assessed that the wetness seemed to get worse when we ran the shower. I also still didn't get the extra towel and didn't have a toilet seat. So, another trip to the guest services desk to see Cora. She told us that they hadn't had a chance to check it out but would do it tomorrow when we where in Cozumel and that she'd have some one deliver the extra towel and bathrobes to our cabin for us. We thanked her and went to dinner which was pretty good. We weren't totally impressed with the desserts and once again fell back on good ole Ben & Jerry's after wards. When we got back to our cabin we noticed that the awful mildew smell had returned but we did have the extra towel and bathrobes. So, we decided to spray the room down again and just go to bed. Day 3 - Cozumel - This was the best day of the whole trip. We went to the Main Dining room for breakfast and they let us in this time! Whoo Hoo! It was okay but our waiter seemed kind of rude and couldn't seem to understand that my husband wanted a bigger glass of orange juice instead of the itty bitty glasses the were serving. He ended up getting frustrated with her & just asked for 4 glasses. Then, off to Cozumel. We purchased a Jeep tour online with a company called Adventure Naturales. It ended up that the company is a husband and wife team that moved to Cozumel years ago so we didn't have to worry about the typical, "No Habla" you sometimes run into. The tour was fantastic. They were very informative and made us feel as though we were the most important people on the island. Unfortunately we had to leave them behind & go back to the ship where we felt like they could care less if we were there or not. When we arrived back in our room the smell was back and the floor was as wet as ever. Once again another trip to the Guest services. Argh! This time Cora was on the phone right away trying to get it all figured out. After listening to her haggle with people for 15 minutes she told us that everything would be sorted out by the time we got back from dinner. Thankfully when we got back from our mediocre dinner we had a message from Cora saying that we were being switched to another room and to go down to guest services to get new keys and our new room assignment. Finally I felt like something was being done correctly! When we got down there Cora told us that we would be upgraded to a Junior Suite and all we had to do was pack up and she'd have someone deliver our bags to our new room. Hip Hip Horray! Now, what we weren't told was that even though it was a junior suite and we'd have more room the balcony though also bigger did not look over the water. Instead it ended about 20 feet before the back of the ship and we were left looking at an empty area of unused space. Not quite what we expected but at least the room was in working order and it didn't smell like an old wet sock. Day 4 - Final Day at Sea - Woke up to a beautiful blue day and thought we'd go have breakfast and then maybe lay out for a while. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate and it was so windy out that it brought the temperature down into the high 60's. So, instead we spent the day out on the balcony where the wind wasn't so brutal just relaxing and reading a book. The rest of the day was pretty mundane until our new room steward came in and was completely surprised that there were people in the room. It really felt like we were being interrogated by her and she even used our phone to call the desk to see if we really belonged there. Not a good way to treat guests in my opinion. After it was all sorted out she left and we never saw her again for the rest of the our time on the ship. Disembarkation- We had a very early flight (9:45am - not our choice) so we made sure to get the early departure passes. They told us to meet in the Studio B center by *am. We got there at 7:45 and were off the ship by 8:15. We got to our flight just fine. But learned the lesson that the earlier the flight the more stressed you get. Ending Statements/Notes - All in all the cruise was ok. We will not be booking another on this particular ship because of the lack of service and upkeep to the vessel but in the end we were fully compensated for the mishaps with $100 on board credit and a future cruise certificate. I do believe that Cora and the Guest Services team did everything in their power to make sure it was taken care of and this is, most likely, the only reason we will continue to sail Royal Caribbean. We've sailed with them many times in the past and never had any problems. We've always felt well taken care of and the ships have always been up to par. We truly believe that this sailing was just a fluke as far as how Royal Caribbean typically operates and really we have no hard feelings. We just won't be sailing the Navigator again. With regards to whether or not we would recommend this cruise to others the answer would have to be open ended. I would tell them our experience and make sure they realize not to expect too much. If our previous cruises were resort rated as a 4 or 5 star I'd have to give this one a 2 star rating.

Still Loyal to Royal Caribbean-But Never Again On Navigator