3. Magellan
I sometime wonder if the reviewers had been on the same ship as myself because I found this cruise to be very enjoyable and took me to those places that I had wished to visit in the past and the programme of visits was perfect. The ship is old and well travelled but one passenger was overheard in saying that they had never travelled on such a clean ship. The crew were constantly cleaning and the use of hand sanitisers was required whenever you entered the restaurants. My cabin 6087 was the largest I had ever had and was kept spotlessly clean by Kway Min OO who is now having a well earned holiday in Myanmar. The Cabin was well appointed. Check-in was straightforward following an easy twenty minute walk from Tilbury Town Station and was ahead of schedule in spite of the ship arriving in Tilbury later than planned. I only cruise to see places that I wish to travel to so am not a hardened cruiser and this cruise took me one thousand miles up the Amazon to Manaus which is a fascinating city although as some passengers found to their cost, it has a violent undertone. The excursion that I took from Manaus, Amazonian Experience was excellent and I had no complaints on any of the excursions although I fully appreciate the annoyance of those who did the beach transfer on Bequia to a beach just fifteen minutes walk from the landing stage. The crew were excellent although I did have some reservations about the attitude of the waiters. The tender crews had some difficult work to do at times and they should be complimented for their work on Isle d' Salut where there was a heavy swell but they ensured that all passengers who wished to go ashore did so in as great a comfort as was possible. One reviewer has commented about the sudden violent vibration when we were travelling up the Amazon and has said that it must have been caused by the ship hitting a sandbank and dismissing the Cruise Director's comment that it was caused by a sudden change of course. I spoke to a retired Naval Officer just after this incident and he had said that the incident could well have been caused by a sudden change of course and it should be remembered that the ship was under the control of the Brazilian Pilots at that time. Overall, this was an excellent trip and as one reviewer has said too many passengers want Cunard standards at CMV prices.

Amazon, West Indies, and Azores