3. Magellan
I have read some of the reviews and I wonder if the reviewers travelled on the same ship as myself. This was an excellent cruise visiting some interesting ports. I am not a hardened cruiser and possibly this is the last cruise that I will take simply because I have visited most of the places accessible by cruise ships that I want to visit. I prefer Adventure Travel. The comments about the list of the ship were correct but never of any problem and if you cross the North Atlantic in mid-Winter then you must expect rough weather and the ship responded accordingly. We did have a severe turn in the Amazon which resulted in the breaking of plates and having spoken to a retired Naval Officer who was a passenger, he said that this could well have been caused by a sudden change of direction and it should be remembered that the ship was under the control of the Brazilian Pilots at that time. I did not participate in the Bequia excursion but I agree with the complaints on the beach transfer excursion. I walked to the beach in fifteen minutes. The excursions I undertook were good and I had no complaints and the Amazonian Experience was excellent. There was several tendering ports and the crew had some difficult sea conditions particularly at Isle d'Salut and they dealt with these admirably and I wrote a letter to the Cruise Director asking him to give the crews my thanks for their good work in difficult circumstances. I refused to use the lifts so cannot make any comment except to say that many of the lift users should have tried the stairs and had some exercise. Evening entertainment was good with some exceptions and the films shown were a contrast. The Entertainment Team were hard working and were often seen on other duties. The best cabin that I have had on a cruise ship with an excellent steward Min who is now taking a well earned holiday home in Myanmar.

Amazon, West Indies and Azores