• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Carnival Valor Review

Editor Rating
10 Awards

A Cruise Is What YOU Make Of It!

Review for Carnival Valor to the Eastern Caribbean
UniqueMom
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Feb 2016
Cabin: Interior
Traveled with children
This is the crib that is offered by the cruise. It was snuggled on the side of the bed.
Washington Dining Room
Baby Friendly
El Jabritto, wonderful food in Puerto Rico! The Mofongo is delicious!
Jack's Shack! Great drinks and Jerk Chicken.
There is also WiFi
Beautiful!  St. Thomas Coki Beach. $10 cab ride pp. Small beach, so if there are a lot of ships in port it will be crowded. The crowds left around 12 noon .
Dr. Seuss is on the loose! Dr. Seuss is on the loose! The younger children cheered as they headed to the show! ADORABLE!
Toys for children under 3. I took my granddaughter between 8am-10am to play, and crawl. A parent has to stay in the morning. (I think) I really enjoyed my time with her and the staff !
There is always crew working hard to ensure passengers have a safe, clean, pleasant experience.
No cruise is complete without catching a sunrise or sunset.
Heading back to the ship!
Winstons lounge.
Bronx sports bar. Connected to the casino.
Theatre. My family member made a great observation, the midevil decor didn't match the American theme of the ship.  I wonder if that will change at the dry dock.
Maybe a Hollywood or Broadway theme would be better?
Rosie's diner was a great place to grab fish and chips.
I appreciated that the art on the ship was diverse and inclusive.
More art. :)
Light breakfast.
Eagles watching over you by the elevators!
Nothing like the Carnival fin!
Below is the basketball court. Designed for a bit of one on one!

I had a GREAT time on the Carnival Valor. I am a grandmother of a 12 month old and mother of a 12 year old. My daughter and her husband are professionals, as are my husband and I. Carnival is for the hippies, the bikers, the tattooed, the LGBTQ, artist, writers, poets and free thinkers. The people who hear steel drums and dance like nobody is watching. The people who TRULY leave their troubles on the shore. Carnival is for the family reunions, the girls night out, the college breakers and for grandmothers who refuse to be defined by the years they have lived but by the years they feel in their heart. If you are not among this tribe then move on to another review, if you are, keep reading!

The Carnival Valor is an old ship. I knew that when I booked her. So I intended to enjoy the Americana theme. I found it to be very whimsical. The Valor does take a moment to get used to as it cuts off in the middle so you have to know what floors to get off on, you'll figure this out by the second day. I LOVED the promenade, with all it's energy, the two floors offered easy access to the Casino and the Boulevard. The Casino was smoky, and loud just as a casino should be!

Carnival offers a talent show that guest can audition for! So if you are a musician, dancer, or love to sing this is a great opportunity for you to show off! Talent shows are not my thing and I'd like to see improvement of better quality performances. I think I'll try to book one of their Carnival Live performers for the quality I'm looking for. Classy Cassie the cruise director was FUN and kept things moving. Dj Ransom was great as reported by my adult daughter and her hubby.

Interior

Cabin 4C

Our cabin was 2303. I was a bit under the galley. I only heard noise three times. It seemed like they were moving something. The noise was not enough for me to complain at all. Hubby and I had our beds pushed together and I kept falling in the middle! LOL, so next time we will have them separated. The cabin was just the size I expected, with a pull down bed for our tween.

Port Reviews

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

Park N Cruise was great! Their staff really know you're going on vacation. They are friendly and fun!

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata)

Due to weather we could not stop here. Please keep in mind that there is NOTHING anyone can do when nature wants her way and I'm glad the captain chose safety! I drank my disappointment away with the port fees they returned and enjoyed my extra day at sea, and the extra 2 hours in Puerto Rico!

St. Thomas

Took a cab to Coki beach. $10.00 per person. Beach was a bit cramped as it is a very small space and there were 5 ships docked. It emptied about 12noon and we enjoyed the drinks and food!

San Juan

We enjoyed the Forts (5.00 pp), ate lunch at El Jibarito, and shopped. This was an amazing port!

Grand Turk

Go to Jacks Shack! Get off of your cruise ship. Walk towards your left. Keep going, you'll hear the laughter, and the island music, you've arrived. Jacks Shack is where all the cool kids go to have fun. Drinks, music and WiFi. You'll only be on the WiFi long enough to post a pic and make everyone jealous before you join in a game of volley ball with other cruisers and local residents. After volleyball grab a beer and some Jerk Chicken. YOU MUST HAVE THE JERK CHICKEN or you would have waisted an entire trip! Side Note: If anyone watches the show Death In Paradise, this restaurant will make you feel a bit like you are at Catherine's Bar :)

25 Helpful Votes