Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by sailawayjack

• Sail Date: Feb 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Large Interior Stateroom

Ernest Hemingway wrote "A Farewell to Arms". SailawayJack writes a goodbye to Royal.

I booked an 8 night cruise from Baltimore for my entire family. Wife, 2 daughters, son-in-law, grandson, and future son-in-law. This cruise started bad from the very beginning. After dropping off my luggage and passengers, I went to park the car. My wife was refused admittance to the terminal until our entire party was present. It was 20 degrees outside.

Getting on the ship was easy. Ship looked old, but was clean. Next problem was Muster Drill. 20 degrees outside, and we waited 25 minutes while some clown was telling us not to throw marshmellows in the commode. A celebrity cruise from Rome in October, 75 degrees, and we went into a room and received info inside.

Next ripoff, a Highlight tour of Port Canaveral. We never left the dock area. Biggest ripoff of any I have ever taken.

Finally the worse part of the cruise. Coco Cay (usually my favorite stop). One tender broke down, delaying departure. On shore one hour and it started pouring raining. Back to the boat (OR SO WE THOUGHT). Boarded a tender, and two hours later we got off. Seas were so rough that the tender before us could not dock. It was cold, windy, water splashing over us, and people getting sick. We never should have gone to the island.

Now the good part of the cruise. Meals in main dining were good for the most part. Only bad one was when I ordered Thailand Prawns, and received 6 baby shrimp. Told waiter that I was going to sue for false advertising. Windjammer food was good. Service on the ship was excellent. Bar service grood, ultimate booze package.

We stopped at Nassau. Walked ashore, had a fantastic lunch at Fat Tuesdays, on the beach. Also stopped at Key West. Hit the bars, bought t-shirts, and had a great fish sandwich at Fogarty's bar.

Had a temtations tribute group one night. They were the highlight of the entertainment. Never went to another show. They had a band in the 4th floor centrum nightly. They were good.

I really believe that Royal has gone down hill over the years. Every time you turn around, some clown in trying to sell you something extra. It gets very old. No soap, shampoo or conditioner in bathroom. The Grandeur is probably the worse Royal Ship I have been on, and most are excellent. BUT the ship is not to blame for bad excursions, or the experience we had at Coco Cay. I doubt if I will ever sail Royal again. I used to believe their biggest supporter, but after two Celebrity cruises, and this experience, I am done with them. Too bad.

sailawayjack's Full Rating Summary

Large Interior Stateroom
Cabin K 4535

Clean, great location by elevators, very small bathroom.

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

ever left port area. Went to a nasa type museum, saw enterprise car rental, aw fishing boats, saw the locks on the river, then stopped at a seafood market. At that point, five of us left the tour, went to a restaurant, ate, and took a cab back. Other people on the tour disliked it also.

Nassau

walked around town, headed to a beach, then ate lunch at Fat Tuesday. Good meal.

Key West

Been there many times. Did my usual bar tour, Hogs Breath, Capain Tony's, Sloppys, Fogarty's (great fish sandwich), green Parrot. Replenished my T-shirt supply

Baltimore

boarded and unloaded. Stood outside for 25 minutes in 20 degree weather for Muster Drill

sailawayjack