3. AmaLotus
My husband and I decided to start our trip with the 3 night Siem Reap hotel package and then the 7 night cruise with a 2 night Saigon stay. Here's what I learned from taking this trip: You do need to get visas for Vietnam ahead of time. You can do this through an agency or directly with the consulate. If you start in Hanoi, you need a multiple entry visa. If you start in Siem Reap like we did, a single entry visa is needed. You also need a visa for Cambodia but that can be bought at the airport. We did e-visas via the Internet. I had them within 24 hours. AMA also has an account with a visa agency and you can use that service if you wish. Cambodia is very polluted. So if you have respiratory issues, make sure you have all of your medications. I have asthma so I had a breathing treatment before I went. The pollution still bothered me. US dollars are accepted everywhere. Visa credit cards are preferred. If you use an ATM machine, do not put your card in mor than twice. Meaning if it doesn't take it the first 2 tries, don't do a third. It will be eaten. You will overpack. It is hot and humid. With most of the temples, for men shorts must reach the knee and For women also or capris. Shoulders must be covered. The cruise is very casual. Most women had on simple blouses and capris even at night. I wore a great deal of golf clothes because they are moisture wicking. There is indeed a 7 hour bus ride. But it is in a very comfortable bus and ours had wi-fi. We were in a suite, #301, and these accommodations have wi-fi extenders. Wi-fi was pretty good. The cabin was spacious but really lacked storage. Lighting is also poor. We used our balcony frequently. The food on the cruise is just OK. Dinners were the worst. I had only two evening meals I really liked. Breakfast and lunches are better. Their shore excursion programs or run very well. You are colored coded as to which group you're with. But you can move from group to group if you wish as long as there is room in the group. Every tour was on time. The guides were excellent. In Saigon we opted for a personal guide and driver rather than the tours from the ship. It worked very well for us. We got in to the major attractions before all of the crowds. Entertainment is limited to a crew show and karaoke. Doing a river cruise really helps you see more of this area of the world as opposed to a land package.

Great Way to See This Part of the World