3. Splendour of the Seas
We sailed on this ship to celebrate my special birthday but the cruise was far from ideal, at best it was mediocre. The ship was dated, we had booked a junior suite and were informed by our agent that we had been upgraded to a grand suite 8014 which we accepted but on embarkation Royal Caribbean said they did not get a confirmation from the agent so they had given it to someone else, they were unhelpful and rude, so we didn't get the upgrade but their view was that as we hadn't paid for it that we shouldn't be unhappy about the situation so we decided to drop the issue and enjoy our cruise as our feelings did not count. Customer relation did say they would look into what went wrong and let us know but they never got in touch. my husband did follow it up with them. Our junior suite had a large crack in the bathroom sink, which they knew about and were waiting to have it done. The metal rack for toiletries over the bath was broken and the room smelt stale and musty, we had to leave the balcony door open all the time. I had paid full price for this cruise so I expected better as I have cruised before and know what to expect. On a positive note the room was a good size and housekeeping were helpful. As for the entertainment it was okay but not spectacular but then it appeared to be a budget ship. The entertainment in the Centrum was popular but due to lack of seating in a small ship I could never find anywhere to sit and with knee surgery I could not stand for long. The Karoke was very entertaining and some very talented guests. The food in the King and I dining room was not very good and always cold when it arrived and also very salty. I mentioned this to the waiter and he said the other people had also complained of these things. So ate in the windjammer restaurant and food here was reasonable and we could always find something nice to eat though it was difficult to find a table at busy times and the staff were always very pleasant and helpful. As for the Royal Caribbean ethos of sell sell sell and lack of care for their customers they will not be on my future sailings list. I have not sailed with them before and maybe I just picked a poor ship that has been sold and general apathy has set in as all the staff have been transferred to other ships after the sale.

Dated Ship