Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review
1,835 Reviews

This Cruise IS NOT Geared Toward 70, 80 and 90 Year Olds!

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by AB1948

• Sail Date: Feb 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

I just read the latest review with the above title, although they said the cruise was geared toward 70-90 years old. That is not true at all. Yes, there were not many families with young children, but hey, it was February and most children are in public school and Mom and Dad usually take cruises with the family when school is out. If you had such a terrible time, I hear that Carnival is the "party" boat. Just remember, someday you will fall into that age category that you so dislike.

This was our 3rd time on this particular ship within the last year. And yes, we were on the fateful "norovirus" cruise last January, although we did not get sick. For a 20-year old ship, Grandeur is a "grand" old lady, but she is starting to show her age. We took the Captain's tour on the last day, which takes you behind the scenes, and I asked when Grandeur is supposed to go into dry dock for refurbishing. I was told May 2017, but until the ship is put into dry dock and assessed, no one knows what kind or how much refurbishing there will be.

Since you leave out of Baltimore, there is more "cruising" than if you were to leave from Florida. But there are loads of activities every day. If you couldn't find something to interest you, then perhaps you shouldn't have cruised at all.

Our stateroom attendant was very nice and catered to our every whim. Our wait staff at dinner was probably the best I have ever had on any ship, and I've been cruising since 2003. The only nitpick I can find was that meals at dinner never seemed to be hot. And this was a problem the previous two times I was on board. During the Captain's tour, after seeing the galley and how things are prepared and sent to the table, I have a new respect for the speediness of the wait staff. So, I'm not sure if the problem lies in the kitchen or there is just too much time elapsed since orders are placed and food is given to the servers. But the food is good, albeit not always hot.

Our captain was new since the last two times we had been on Grandeur, but he steered us clear of the large storm in the Atlantic that damaged RCI's Anthem of the Seas out of NJ. There was a little bit of rough seas the last 2 days at sea, but it was pretty smooth sailing.

All in all, I think this was a great cruise.

AB1948's Full Rating Summary

Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin D1 7076

Standard cabin with the queen bed and a couch that converts into a bed. There were 3 of us in the cabin, but we had plenty of room.

Our cabin steward, Raoul was always trying to make our voyage a good one.

Baltimore

Good parking. They take your bags as soon as you pull up to the ship.

AB1948