3. Celebrity Equinox
This was our first visit to the Caribbean and our second trip with Celebrity. It will probably prove to be our last trip to this part of the world and the second of a number with this cruise line. Why no plans to return? Manchester/New York/Miami/Fort Lauderdale was a real pain before we even saw the ship, although overnight at the Novotel in FL was fine, while the return trip via a single stop in Zurich was better, but still tiring. The itinerary, which I concede we chose, was disappointing. None of the ports was really aesthetically pleasing, with Fort Lauderdale's huge commercial operation setting the palm/beach free standard and with four days at sea the concept of seascapes to die for was hardly fulfilled. I now know much more about cranes than palms. Perhaps we should have chosen the Eastern Caribbean Islands cruise which followed our and might well have coloured our thinking more favourably. Ironically, the high winds on our trip to Grand Cayman, blew us into a part of the island we were not scheduled to visit and we were doubly indebted to Celebrity's office staff and Captain Leo for securing an attractive, alternative mooring. With only a handful of fellow Brits, the ship was dominated by third-age clients from the USA and Canada. 'Dominated' is the only word and while I am in that category age-wise, I would warn new and younger cruisers to consider the implications of being at sea with 2,000 pensioners. It is a hazard of all cruises, but this was a real test. The 'I'll wear what I want' attitude from some was probably an inevitable outcome of the more relaxed dress code and I can live with that now I know just how scruffy people are prepared to be when they go for dinner. That said, a man in a hoodie in the Silhouette Restaurant must have been doing it for a bet! So what might tempt me back? A wonderful ship with a magnificent crew. Exceptional in every respect, with the captain and his social lieutenent Alejandro setting a terrific lead and the crew - especially the entertainers - delivering an exemplory cruising experience. Good food on a daily basis, with a treat at the Murano Restaurant the highlight.

Magnificent ship, exceptional crew; would not repeat the itinerary.

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Careful Yorkshireman

Careful Yorkshireman’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Equinox price drops

Inside Stateroom
Well designed an sufficiently spacious for our needs.
Penthouse Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins