Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by BillBoo

• Sail Date: Jan 2016
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Inside

This was our third cruise with the first on Princess, second Carnival. After reading many negative reviews, we were a bit nervous on what to expect. We didn't experience any of the negative aspects of what had been posted. Embarkation and disembark were very smooth with very minimal delays. We had selected two inside cabins (family of 5) as you are only in there to sleep anyway. Square footage was posted when booking so no surprise there. At 6'8" and 350lbs, I could surprisingly have a comfortable shower although the toilet was a challenge. Again, with my size, no surprise there. Our room was always kept clean and turned down in the evening. Our steward was very attentive and tipped accordingly.

We ate most meals at the Marketplace Buffet which had a good variety and always had food available (unlike Carnival where we had to hunt for food at times) We also had Ultimate dinning and Ultimate beverage package which had been thrown in free of charge and actually probably equalled the value of the cruise fare. The specialty restaurants were great (Steakhouse, Italian twice and Teppanaki). Service was flawless, food perfect and even had peanut butter and jelly for my two year old at the steakhouse... perfect. The host even made a duck for her out of a napkin.

Service at bars was fast and courteous. They are busy and not really time to chit chat, again perfect, I'm not looking to adopt, just want someone to get my drink. Our excursions were not booked thru the cruise but were incredible as always and a fraction of the cost the cruise charged. Family portraits taken on board turned out great and we bought them as we were overdue for new ones. Photographers very friendly and knowledgeable.

Posted pool temp was over 80 but I think that was a stretch and we didn't go in. My two year old did use the kiddie pool at the back of the ship. We enjoyed several shows while onboard and they were very well done. There was some viral outbreak onboard and word spread like wildfire. As the old story goes you heard different things from different people ranging from ghost ship to the flu with very little mentioned from the ship. They had all hands on deck from the midpoint of the cruise to assist and even had officers serving in the no longer self serve buffet. Kudos for their efforts in mitigating the risks to healthy guests. For the remainder of the cruise sanitation crew was out sterilizing all public areas, again, well done.

To sum it up, before listening to negative reviews, be aware of your expectations. You aren't paying premium $ for this cruise and to us, our service and experience far exceeded what we paid for

BillBoo's Full Rating Summary

Inside
Cabin IX 5133

Tampa

Embark and disembark flawless. Don't waste money on transfer from TPA as you can get a taxi quicker and cheaper

Belize City

Booked thru 5-Star, Mr Myers on the shore. excellent tour and price

Costa Maya

Not really anything there except time off the ship

Cozumel

Just did the shops at the port as weather was poor. Had a great time regarless

BillBoo