Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by lcasbon

• Sail Date: Feb 2016
  • Destination: the Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

My husband and I traveled with my family which included a total of three couples. We cruised two years ago with this same group to celebrate my brother's birthday. Two years ago our group took a cruise on the Celebrity Constellation. I was reluctant two years ago to take a cruise because my husband and I like to go to a destination and relax. When we cruised on the Celebrity we were surprised how much we enjoyed ourselves. I would not say that was my experience on The Norwegian Jewel at all.

It started off on a bad note and really did not improve any during the duration of the cruise. We signed up for an early time to arrive on the ship so we could locate a TV to watch the Superbowl. We waited in a port area after checking in to board the ship. Someone came and announced that boarding would be delayed due to a safety check. We stepped out a side door of the port to get some fresh air and then were told we could not come back in again unless we completed the entire screening process again. I understand safety but if someone explained or if there was a message posted that we could not leave after going through the screening process then that would have been helpful.

The staff upon boarding where rude and not very helpful. The ship has a worn looking and nothing about the interior was too impressive. We had a balcony room mid ship on the 11 floor. The room was worn but about one of the few positive things about the ship. The bed was comfortable, and storage space was pretty good.

Our group really wanted to watch the Superbowl and none of the staff seemed to have any information of how to assist with this. Everyone in our group purchased the drink and prepaid gratuity package. The service at the bar was pretty slow and the mixed drinks were watered down. I was hoping for a nice Pina Colada pool side and it was kind of bland. The food was also very mediocre. It tasted like the typical mass produced buffet food. It did not matter which freestyle place that you would choose it all seemed the same. We went to Chin Chin's which had the worst Kung Pao chicken I ever had.

The ports of call were nice but transfer process to Cabo on their tenders was slow and disorganized. The overall staff were pretty rude and disinterested. My sister and her husband did have a really sweet cabin steward which they said was the bright spot of the cruise. We did go to a couple of shows that were pretty good with their dance troupe/acrobat performers. I did play a few rounds of craps in the casino and it seemed okay. It was pretty hot and smokey so I did not stay long. Overall, I will never take a cruise again. I would not recommend Norwegian Cruise lines.

lcasbon's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 11548

Cabo San Lucas

Love Cabo - Very fun

Mazatlan

They had volunteers in the city to help and assist with sightseeing. Big city but had some interesting sights

lcasbon