Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by nw gardener

• Sail Date: Feb 2016
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Suite

First of all, our group consisted of myself, 2 co-workers 40's and 50's] in a family suite, my 87 yr old dad in an inside, and my 2 brothers and girlfriends [50's]in 2 balconies across from my dad. We flew into Tampa the day before and stayed in the Country Inn airport north, it was clean and basic with breakfast and airport shuttle- fit the bill. Paid a $10 fee for super shuttle to go the port the next morning. Rough start...shuttle was 1.5 hours late.

But things really got rough when we arrived at the port after 1200. Everyone was standing outside the terminal! Yikes! We found out quickly that there was a noro outbreak on the previous cruise and the ship was getting a thorough cleaning, so we stood, and stood...Just happy that it wasn't raining. Terminal was opened for processing a little after 1:00, and we very slowly moved through a too small for the crowd security checkpoint. Myself and my 2 friends from work parted ways with my family after that for the check-in as we were in a suite and we wanted to experience some suite perks and get on that ship quickly!

Went to our room,[a family suite- no balcony but 4 large ceiling to floor windows], and met our butler, dropped some bags, then went to the buffet for a quick bite. Everything in the buffet line was served [for the next 3 days as well] to contain the noro. The food was not great and I'm not a buffet fan and it was our last time eating there. I must say, the crew busted their butts to get the ship clean and noro/CDC restrictions were lifted after 3 days.

We all met for dinner at Versailles, and service was very slow which I attribute to the cleaning and difficult boarding process for all. Service improved later in the week. We also dined at Cagney's [great steak!], La Cucina, Moderno's, and O'Sheehans and we all enjoyed the specialty restaurants [but not a fan of the new a la carte pricing]. We also all had the beverage promo, no problems getting drinks at the bars, and none of us are big drinkers but it was nice to not worry about a tab. We went to several of the shows and enjoyed them as well.

As far as tours went, we went all private and they were all fantastic. ROATAN/Victor Bodden tours [private driver/Tex],and they were great and very good value for the money - did sightseeing, shopping, Victor's monkey sanctuary, lunch, and visited a relative on the island. BELIZE/used Belize Exotic Adventures and this tour was the highlight of the trip for us. We had a private tour [with the owner Nickoli], to see the Altun Ha Mayan ruins, fantastic guide and tour. I can not say enough nice things about this tour company! COSTA MAYA/went to Maya Chan for a pampered beach day and they delivered. COZUMEL/walked on our own, shopping, and back on the ship for some quiet time. Disembarkation went very smoothly. All in all, a great time with family and friends. Cruising is what you make of it, don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy!

nw gardener's Full Rating Summary

Family Suite
Cabin SJ 12028

Loved, loved, loved the space and the suite perks. Only problem were a few joggers [many of the family suites are under the jogging track] who chose to ignore the jogging track closed sign and start at 0530-0600 in the dark [come on, really!!]. After a few complaints at the front desk and with our concierge help, they got them to stop after a few days. That is the only issue with these suites, would still book them in a heart beat.

Cozumel

Just walked around on our own, some shopping etc.

Tampa

Did the Florida aquarium after the cruise and used their luggage storage to kill some time since our flight left later in the afternoon, very nice

Roatan

private driver - very accommodating , had a good time sightseeing.

nw gardener