3. Oosterdam
Background: Us: middle aged couple Husband very active and fit, wife recovering from knee surgery - so not so active or fit Pre-Cruise Hotel: 1 night at Rodeway Inn. I am not sure why so many people complain about the Rodeway. We found it quite adequate for a 1 night pre-cruise stay and a post cruise day room. It supplies free transfers too and from the airport and cruiseship port and a free adequate continental breakfast. Embarkation: It went pretty well. I required wheelchair boarding and that was well-handled. Our cabin was ready for us. Cabin: 4136 - Verandah cabin. We LOVED having the verandah and made good use of it. The location was great - quiet and near the elevators. Our cabin steward was excellent - unobtrusive and very efficient. He kept the cabin clean and well supplied. The ONLY problem we had with the cabin was when the seas were up a bit, it tended to be noisy - lots of rattling and creaking. I would get this cabin again but bring ear plugs for nights when the ship was rolling a bit. Service: really good expecially from the excellent efficient Astrid in the Lido Buffet. All the Lido staff were good. Dining: We pretty much confined our meals to the Lido and were satisfied. Only one night did we find the choices somewhat less than adequate and that was only for my husband. We LOVED Caribbean night. Entertainment: The staged show we went to was really pretty poor - boring and not well-staged. We liked the BB King All Stars and we loved the classical violin and piano duo (Adagio) who played in the Explorer lounge. Only one major complaint and it left us very annoyed: We had booked loungers and a clamshell for Half Moon Cay (a number of months in advance). We arrived on Half Moon Cay (WELL within the time-frame given for getting your clamshell). As instructed on our tickets, we went to the shore excursions desk on Half Moon Cay. They told us to go to the rental desk for Clamshells. We went there and in spite of having our tickets, we were told NO clamshells were left. The woman there sent us back to the shore excursions people (on Half Moon Cay). Their whole attitude was "not our problem" . No apologies, NO explanations. NO attempt whatsoever to rectify the situation in ANY way. "Take it up with shore excursion on-board the ship" was their entire response AND they took our tickets (luckily I still had my original receipt from booking the excursion). We were furious and nearly turned around and went back to the ship. Luckily we cooled down a bit and after much wandering around (bearing in mind I am recovering from knee surgery and found wandering around painful) we found a decent spot with some shade and a bench to park ourselves (I would NOT have been able to sit in the sand). So the day was not a total wipe-out. We got back to the ship and of course there was a huge line-up at the Shore excursions desk. My husband marched over to the main desk and basically insisted that they deal with our complaint (which they did after trying to send us back to the Shore excursions line). They promised to pass it on to Shore excursions - which they did do. We received a refund of what we had paid for the clamshell and a phone call from Shore excursion - a just barely adequate response. I did not expect major compensation but I DID expect at least a written apology and an explanation that made sense. As a result, I cannot recommend Shore excursions booked through HAL. They are NOT pro-active when anything goes wrong and they do not accept responsibility. Other: There was a smallish Norovirus outbreak while we were on-board and we thought it was VERY well-handled. Very pro-active and we were kept informed by the captain. This impressed us. Disembarkation: This went very well in spite of some passengers having problems with following instructions. Since we had assisted disembarkation, we confirmed the night before where we had to go and at what time - no problems So overall it was a good cruise with one highly irritating Shore excursion experience. We would not hesitate to do another cruise with HAL but I would be VERY reluctant to purchase another Shore excursion.

Very Good with One Exception

Oosterdam Cruise Review by Zeno

• Sail Date: January 2016
  • Destination: Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Background:

Our cabin was ready for us.

Zeno’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VB 4136
4136 was a well-located cabin in a quiet area near the aft elevators.
Except for creaking and rattling a lot when the seas were a little active, it was quiet. We would book it again but bring ear plugs in the event of rough seas.
We LOVED our balcony - which was quite private. Everything worked.
Observation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins