3. Crown Princess
We are experienced cruisers with more that 25 on various ships of various lines. Succinctly, we have in our 20 plus years on cruise ships seen a major decline in service, in food quality, and general crew attitude. After this experience, we are seriously considering other ways to spend our vacation time and money. That said, I will attempt to detail the four days on the Crown. Prior to boarding, we drove from our home in Mesa, AZ to spend the night at the Doubletree by Hilton hotel. This is a very nice facility with excellent service and the added advantage of a shuttle to and from the pier while the car stayed in the parking lot at no charge. There is a very nice restaurant but be aware the pricing is a bit high. There are no nearby restaurants to give an alternative. We arrived at the pier at about noon and proceeded though the check-in with no problem. However, after that we were ushered into a bullpen to await a group call. This lasted about half and hour. The walk to the ship is fairly long and includes some uphill ramps. People with impaired mobility will have some difficulty with this. Once on board, we were on our own to find our cabin. We dropped our carry on luggage and proceeded to our first experience in the Horizon buffet. It was crowded, and the food was ar best average. This was the same experience for the entire four days. Because of a poor layout, crowding, and long waits to move through the lines, civility frequently was not observed. While on the subject of food, we found the sit down restaurants to be about average or below. The food was generally less than we have experienced ovr the years. The servers made a valient effort to keep up, but it appeared they were seriously understaffed. Food and service in the specialty rooms was better, but not up to the quality one would expect for the price. The ship is huge. To this end, it seemed that no matter where I was, whatever I wanted was a long way off. Especially difficult was accessing the Botticelli room due to the route one had to take form the stern area of the ship. Despite its large size, it felt crowed to me. (I admit I am crowd adverse) Our cabin D631, was comfortable with plenty of storage space. The only problem was the layout of the closets and door to the bathroom. This was quite tight. Minor problem, we had two TV's but only one controller. The problem is obvious. The bed was too soft for our taste and the pillows tended to collapse when we laid down. Since we were on the ship to rest and get some relaxation, we did not partake of the many activities that were available with the exception of the wine tasting which was not particularly informative since the presenters wiere more comedian that somaliers. We did leave the ship in San Diego to tour the USS Midway. I recommend this but be aware there is a lot of walking and stairs. (Ladders for all es navy) Finally, we come to disembarkation. We chose Express system which required we take our own luggage off the ship. OK, one would expect this would get us off quickly. Not so!. We found ourselves assigned to a group that was scheduled to leave at 10:30. Hardly a early departure. Since we had a long drive home, I did not want to wait that long so when I found that no one was checking our group I joined another and was off by 9:00. All in all, I found this to be a disappointing experience topped off by a 12:25 AM announcement by the captain that the fire was out and there was no further danger. What Fire? There had been no announcement of a problem.

A Mixed Bag of Experience