3. Adventure of the Seas
My in-laws were looking for an affordable way to celebrate their 50th with their children and their spouses. 14 of us in all. For over a year we planned, saved, e-mailed and planned some more. We settled on a winter cruise to the Caribbean. What could be better than the Caribbean in late January? We made it to the ship with little trouble and were even able to spend some time in Old San Juan before leaving port. From this point the journey takes a turn for the worse. On day one we had no soap or shampoo in our bathroom. No big deal, let the folks at the desk know and we will be good to go. It's hot, what could possibly be better than an ice cream cone? I race up to the 11th floor with childish anticipation. The machine is locked up. No sign, no set schedule just locked. Oh well, maybe later. We head to the deck for a look around and I almost take a spill on a loose stair tread. Can you say LAW SUIT. Later on that evening we meet for dinner with the whole group. I understand that 14 people is a large group to try and accommodate but after multiple attempts to communicate with Royal Caribbean we thought they would have it figured out. No such luck, we were scattered all over the dinning room and at different times. Wait in yet another line to see if we can get it straightened out. No luck, maybe tomorrow night. As we head to the show we are confronted with the omnipresent drink salesman. No big deal, we have cruised before and know the drill only Royal plays the game a bit differently. They have levels of drink offerings all in an effort to get more money out of you. After several minutes of negotiations with a nice man who doesn't speak English I walked away with a fancy drink mug and what I hoped would be a reasonable charge on my bill. They are happy to give you a mug but good luck getting them to put anything in it. Back to room to relax and settle in for some TV. NOPE, the remote won't work. No worries I will call the front desk and get some new batteries. NO ANSWER. Head to the in-laws place..... At about 2:00am I hear water running. Running water on a boat is NOT something you want to hear. I walked blurry eyed to the bathroom to find the toilet running over and onto the carpet. NASTY!! That would explain the 24/7 toilet channel and PA announcement telling all of us not to put anything down the toilet. At this point I am wondering if anything on the ship actually works other than the credit card and the machines in the casino. Day 2-7 Repeat of day 1 except they were able to sit us together on 2 tables while I noticed that some big wig sat at a huge table with his party of 3. What kind of company is this anyway? Folded towel animals? Every other day. Food services? closed most of the time except for 1 place where you can get a slice, a sandwich and a dried up cookie. Ice cream? Nope, if it isn't broken it's closed. When I asked about it I was told that if they kept it running it would burn up. ITS ALREADY BURNT UP, REPLACE IT! Sticky tables, thread bear furniture in the rooms, soap provided on the last day of the cruise only, snotty help at both the front desk and the dinning room, broken equipment in the gym, one of the hot tubs was closed every night for "cleaning" while the other closed at 10:00. Towels for the pool area? Closed, but we were offered dirty ones out of the bin on a cool windy night. With the required daily gratuity that RC charges all of the nice little things we enjoyed previously were all gone. Gone is the incentive to provide the customer with a memorable experience. It's bare bones and sometimes even they are picked over. This was our fourth cruise and first with RC. By far this was the worst. Bad service, bad food (when you could get it) and a bad boat.

Has cruising lost all of its charm?

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by steveghill@hotmail.com

Day 2-7

steveghill@hotmail.com’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Lovely view of the main walkway on deck 5 complete with the banging light fixtures that keep you up all night. The late night showing of the not quite village people was sure fun.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans