3. Coral Princess
Embarkation: Very smooth. It took no more than 10 minutes from check-in to entering the ship whether you were Elite or otherwise. Cabin: Our cabin had a nice-sized balcony, far bigger than the one we had on the Royal. The bedding and TV were new, but the TV remote didn’t work properly. Our cabin steward was average. We had to ask him for soap for the shower (not everyone likes body wash) and lotion, which was not provided. Due to mechanical problems, we had no water on arrival until the evening, then until the following day, we had no hot water. We received no notices in our cabin about this, yet the ship kept filling our “mailboxes” with adverts about “champagne art auctions”. The ship’s priorities were clearly askew. Food: The MDR food was quite good, with outstanding waiters. Desserts were on the dull side. Due to the “technical difficulties” the ship had no ice cream the first day. The lunch buffet was decent. The layout of the buffet on this ship was roomier than that of the other older ships, but there is no place to eat outside, unless one eats by the pool. We ate at the Bayou Café one night. Those at the table who had steak were happy, but the waiter informed me the gumbo had meat in it (I don’t eat meat). The only other options were fried catfish (no biggie, to be sure) and shrimp, which was last night’s MDR choice. I took the shrimp, but it had meat in the rice. What bugged me the most was that some at the table complained about their dessert, and were surprised with desserts from Sabatini’s, but I was never offered fish from there (they have an excellent bronzini there)…..and yet I was charged for dinner. Entertainment: I only attended the production shows, which were OK. The dancing in the show “Dancing” was good, but the singing subpar. My traveling companions went to the Billy Joel-type singer and comedian and enjoyed them. They didn’t like the magician. Trivia was fun and smoothly run. Pool: There were never enough pool chairs or towels. This did not seem to be a chair-hog issue, though, they were clearly in evidence. Two pool attendants told me there weren’t enough chairs on the ship. I saw numerous people pull up straight back chairs by the pool. Gym: All brand new equipment! WOW! The square footage of the gym made it hard to fit all of the equipment--no room for stretching compared to other ships. The wraparound promenade was great for fast walking and early morning or evening jogging. My partner, who is an avid jogger, however, that jogging on the promenade felt that jogging is dangerous at any time! What a pleasure to have a deck which goes totally around the ship on one level! Ports of call: Now the fun starts! The captain must have gotten so many complaints about not speaking to the passengers (who realized we were traveling in circles) without any explanation, he made an announcement at 7:00am. I’m sure waking many passengers up, on Day 3 to tell us we had problems. No one still knew whether the cruise would continue. We arrived in Cozumel at 7:30 pm (about 12 hours late). The captain was reactive in telling the passengers we had mechanical trouble. He later told us we’d miss Roatan, and on the next day, we found out we’d also miss Costa Maya, but this time, due to high seas. We were promised 50% of what we paid, plus $100 OBC for a future cruise. Too little, too late, especially for those who didn’t have water or deck chairs. Possibly, the captain held back information due to corporate direction. However, I feel that was not the best way to handle this. Disembarkation: We left around 9:40 am. It was the fastest I’ve ever seen. Not a single person in line at Immigration. It’s possible everyone wanted off the ship fast!

Too Little, Too Late