3. Anthem of the Seas
I will stick to the facts. We have cruised Royal Caribbean in the past but have been avid Carnival cruises, upon seeing this ship we canceled our Carnival Cruise and rebooked with Royal on the Anthem for almost double the price. We really chose this cruise as we were traveling with our 1.5 year old son and hear good things about the baby area. Upon booking we were promised a pack and play in the room, which was delightful as it was less we had to bring on board, i did triple check 3 times before we left with customer service to ensure we would have one and they guaranteed it would be there. Check in, very easy a lot better than checking in for Carnival in Miami or Port Canaveral and i love the bag drop off right out of your car at Bayonne. The ship, very nice decor, clean areas lots of seating. Upon boarding we headed right to the room, we stayed on the 8th deck front of the ship 8502, Room, large big picture window could not have been more pleased with the layout. We did notice there was not a pack and play, i asked the houseman who informed us they do not have them after I guaranteed it. At that point i left it alone and my husband said he will sleep on the couch and i in the bed with our son, my only worry was him rolling off the large bed but it was what it was. Our houseman, never vacuumed the room with a toddler even though you pick everything up there is still bound to be cheerios stepped on and or snacks. im not a clean freak but when you are in a small room for 11 days you really would like it vacuumed at least twice, i would have done it myself if i saw the vacuum out. Also, the captain put out a notice that we were going to be an extra day at sea, we didn't receive the notice until 2 days after it was put out as our houseman left them on the carts. It was actually dated 2 days prior we found out from other passengers. Again the customer service leaves a lot to be deisred. First night we turned in and starting at 11:00 pm until 5:30 am or so, we did not get any sleep the crew party area is right below the 8th deck so you can hear the music, yelling and screaming pretty loudly. Not their fault poor design of the ship. Second night same thing so my husband went to customer service who apologized but could not do anything about it, same for the third night and so on. My husband was informed at customer service that we were not the only ones complaining of the loud extreme noise and not being able to sleep so remember do not stay in the front of the ship from deck 8 or 9... This went on the whole cruise besides the days we headed back and hit a storm, we were actually delayed a day getting in. Upon speaking to other cruisers with kids we found out they do have pack and plays one couple even had 2 of them, i addressed this with the Asst customer service manager who stated he did not know why i was told there wasn't any by our houseman but would look into it and get back to us, this was day 4, we never heard back from him and nor did anyone bring a pack and play to the room there after. I work for a large hospitality chain in HR and follow through and follow up are key! Food: Buffet, good selection, very very rude staff. My husband and i encountered the staff being very rude to elderly people in which we had to step in. I could not believe the unhappiness and non friendliness of the staff. I did address with the supervisor that the black forest cups on the buffet which kids and teens were eating did have a lot of liquor in them and the sign did not indicate liquor, i only noticed this as i went to give my son a bite and smelled it. Asked me to show him where they were and ensured me there was not liquor in the cup but you can see it in the bottom, ironically while i was showing him where they were he picked one up to eat it and a lady walking by had no idea what we were talking about says to us, oh do not eat that there is alot of Whisky in there and it packs a punch, she said her sister who doesn't drink spit it right out. My husband got one as well just to double check it was not just mine and came back to say yup, these are good for poolside joking. Never removed them from the buffet, i did let the customer service desk know. I did notice in the buffet staff will come in to eat and the person making the cooked to order food will stop working with the passenger and assist the staff with their food instead. The buffet ( windjammer) has posted hours but you will find they make their own hours and will close down earlier than listed, i felt bad for the people coming back from Puerto Rico looking for food when it was supposed to be open they were removing everything early. The pasta cook was amazing, Ronaldo from the Philippines. He was friendly and happy and just a great team member, he is the only person i tipped on this trip. But, he was treated poorly by other staff members, and these were the staff that were rude to the elderly as well. Other outlets : Jaime O's good food, good service! Izumi, excellent sushi and the service is top notch, engaging, helpful. I would say they have the best staff on the ship! Chic, had the cod with truffle sauce ( very good) portions are small so you may have to eat again later but worth the try. American Icon Grill - we did not have good service and or good food there , i ordered the pastry puff which in turn was a slice of Quiche, we left early and went and ate at the buffet. We had reservations at the Grande but after speaking to about 20 other couples that did not have a good experience there we decided to cancel, you do have to wear a jacket to get in. We did the Character breakfast, it was nice the menu is limited but you pay for the experience. Make sure you prebook these specialty areas before you cruise as they so sell out . Johnny Rockets, we ate at twice prices are not bad at all! The shop does offer a good variety of food choices. Common Areas: Great space, the solarium fills up very quickly so for inclement weather and or just to stay out of the sun get there bright and early. For teens you will love the 14th floor fun spot area with lots to do. Baby room! The daycare is great! My son loved going just to play with other kids we used it for a couple of hours at night so we can do dinners, they will feed them lunch and or dinner, they give you a bag upon first check in and you can fill it with their essentials. it is 6.00 during the day per hour and 8.00 a night. The only hiccup we found was the free play area for little ones as my husband took my son in there a couple of times but especially on one day and there were older kids in there throwing the baby toys across the room, my husband and another mother went in to let the staff know and ask them if there was something they can do as there were babies crawling around and toddlers and the staff member in the kids room stated to the mother, and my husband if you do not like it than don't go. my husband walked out and the other mother stayed yelling at the staff. Again Customer service on this ship is horrible! Excursion Desk: Love the new technology but really miss the face to face interaction especially when you have questions about the excursion before you book. the lady that was in there for about 2 hours, did not know anything as we asked what kind of transportation is it to get to ST Barts as we had the stroller and she did not know. Carnival excels at their excursion desk knowing the ins and outs of the excursions they advertise, as we had to make sure when our daughter was growing up which were age appropriate for her. Spectras Cabernet is very good, make sure you pre book as well but you can walk in but will have a hard time finding a seat. We had tickets to the other shows but they were canceled 2 days because of the high seas and weather rocking the boat, we never rebooked as we figured it would be a mad house with everyone trying to get into the last days show. We did get to talk to a lot of people on the ship, ranging from Platinum members to ones that it was their 50th cruise and or were on the ship because they got it free from sailing when it first came out and had a horrible experience, and most of the consensus was the same, the customer service is really bad and has a long way to go to live up to the RC name. Working in hospitality and HR/Training, you pick up on things and what i did notice is that you can fault the rude employees, if they are not happy they should find a new job but you cannot fault the ones that are not trained properly which i found a lot of, there was no supervision and or management around and or the management which I encountered were not setting a good example as they themselves had a blasie attitude and was not an example of leadership. I could go on and on about other issues but will leave it at this. I would wait if you are thinking about taking this cruise until it has been up and running for a while as they need a lot of turn over and proper training. The ship itself you are paying for makeup ( glitz and glamour) covering up the impurities, food, staff ect. I made the best out of our trip and can oversee little things but the staff, rudeness ( not only to us but others we saw) left us feeling the same as some other reviews a waste of money and time when we should have stayed with our original cruise and or back to the all inclusive we do. Things happen, but the way they are handled, followed up and recovered are what makes the trip. Sadly when we mentioned this to a supervisor he said you should have taken the Oasis, they are better. Very sad when a team member references another sister ship as having better customer service. we have recommended to our friends and family who cruise to hold off and do not cruise this ship.

Does not live up to the Royal Caribbean name or promise.

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by Nicepaige

Other outlets : Jaime O's good food, good service!

Nicepaige’s Full Rating Summary
Ages Under 3
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

The cabin itself was large loved the space and the layout. The houseman not so good.
  Anthem of the Seas Deck Plans